Hi all

I have recently returned to researching my 3rd Great Grandfather, William Gee, who had 3 wives and a rather colourful Life! He was born in 1811 in Longdon, Staffordshire and married Martha Taylor in Birmingham in 1833, with whom he had 2 children, and was widowed in 1839. He then married Elizabeth Gilliver, nee Perry, again in Birmingham, in 1841 and they had 4 children together. The family are located in Tamworth in the 1841 census and in Lichfield in the 1851 census. Elizabeth was recorded as a widow at the time of marriage, but in fact, first husband James, had been sentenced to 7 years in Tasmania and in 1857 Elizabeth was accused and acquitted of bigamy (apparently it was ok to remarry if your husband had been deported as a criminal). William then remarried in 1857, to Emma Bailey, nee Perry. William is recorded as being a widower at the time of this marriage, though Elizabeth is recorded in both the 1861 and 1871 censuses, dying in 1881.

I have only just discovered the Baptism records of the 2 eldest children, born to Martha and the record of her and William's marriage. I am now keen to find out where she came from - though there are several Baptism records for a Martha Taylor in the local areas, it would appear that she probably came from Rotherham, Yorkshire, according to another researcher on these boards (now archived). If either the original poster, or anyone else, can shed any light on this, I would love to verify Martha's ancestry.

Thanks in advance

Debs