Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rochoy

Smile Thomas Hunt marries Mary Jane Hardwick

Hi Everyone,
    I wonder if anyone can help me with my conundrum. With my search for the Brooks family, Marylebone, Middlesex and George William Bickerton Brooks, I have not been able to further my research, as I now have a problem I'm unable so solve and hope, someone out there can help.
    Jane Hardwick in the 1881 census in Marylebone, Middlesex claims she was born in Somerset, England and is the wife of William Brooks. I have not been able to find a marriage for them. I ordered the birth certificates of two of their children, Frederick Samuel Bickerton Brooks born 7 Sep 1878 and George William Bickerton Brooks born 13 June 1880, both of these Certificates, say the mother's name is Mary Brooks formally Puddy, father, William Bickerton Brooks.
    I have her South African Death Notice, Mary Jane Harrison, born Hardwick ; (1st marriage William Brooks; 2nd marriage William Kemm; 3rd marriage William Harrison) Born in Somerset England, parents John and Mary Hardwick. I have not been able to find any marriage for Brooks/Hardwick; Brooks/Puddy; Hardwick/Bickerton; Puddy/Bickerton.
    Searching, I came up with Mary Jane Puddy Hardwick, born in 31 Oct 184?, Bap, 9 Dec 1849 Portbury, Somerset, to William and Mary Hardwick. (I cannot find a Mary Jane Hardwick born to John and Mary)
    This is where I run into my problem, Mary Jane Hardwick, daughter of William Hardwick, Publican married Thomas Hunt on the 17 July 1871 in the Parish of Bedminster, Somerset. They moved to Wales then, in the 1881 Wales Census and the 1891 Wales Census, Mary states that she was born in Ringash, Devon.
    Mary Jane Hardwick/Hunt , date of birth ranges between 1843 and 1849 and Mary Jane Hardwick/Brooks date of birth range is between 1851 and 1857.
    Would anyone be able to tell me when Mary Jane Hardwick/Hunt died, and where?, perhaps this would give me a clue. Also, does the name "Puddy" appear anywhere in the Hardwick/Hunt family names, as it does on 'my' Brooks/Hardwick children Certificates.
    Any help would be most welcome and appreciated, Thanking everyone. Barbara

Famous for offering help & advice

Have you seen this before? There is an image on Ancestry of the Baptism register.

Mary Jane Puddy Hardwick
    Birth Date: 31 Oct 1849
    Baptism Date: 9 Dec 1849
    Baptism Place: Portbury, Somerset, England
    Parish as it Appears: Portbury
    Father: William Hardwick
    Mother: Mary Hardwick

Famous for offering help & advice

the 1891 Wales census with Mary Jane & Thomas Hunt is

district Cardiff; ED 44a; piece 4399; folio 51; page 15

Thomas Hunt 48 born Kingsteignton, Devon
    Mary J Hunt 45 born Ringsash, Devon
    Lilly Hunt 22
    Susan A Hunt 18
    William A Hunt 14
    Bertha Hunt 12
    Mabel Hunt 12
    Minnie E Hunt 8
    Eda Hunt 3

I don't immediately see a 1901 census. A Mary Jane Hunt died in Cardiff, 1899 aged 54 - 11a/229.

There's an earlier thread about these people which includes some research carried out. I haven't merged the threads as doing so would make them appear disjointed.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ckerton-Brooks
    Alma

There's mention on the other thread of a daughter, Eliza Mary J B Brooks, born DEC 1884 Marylebone 1a 573. born to George and Mary Jane Brooks. She is on the passenger list as E.M.J. Brooks when the family sailed to South Africa.

This is her birth registration from the GRO site which gives MMN Hardwick!

BROOKS, ELIZA MARY JANE BICKERTON, MMN HARDWICK
    GRO Reference: 1884 D Quarter in MARYLEBONE Volume 01A Page 573
    Alma

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by Rochoy View Post
    They moved to Wales then, in the 1881 Wales Census and the 1891 Wales Census, Mary states that she was born in Ringash, Devon.
    You have the wrong people there if I am looking at the same census as you. Thomas HUNT and Jane COLE married in 1862, all the children have COLE as mother's maiden surname.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2W9-3JQ2

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5Y5-Y94

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by Rochoy View Post
    Also, does the name "Puddy" appear anywhere in the Hardwick/Hunt family names, as it does on 'my' Brooks/Hardwick children Certificates.
    Just having a quick look, I think Mary Jane's father William may have been the son of William HARDWICK and Mary PUDDY.

This is the Thomas Hunt/Mary Jane Hardwick marriage.
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NNXT-L2K
    Alma

There's this marriage, but wrong first names.

Marriage: https://www.familysearch.org/search/...me%3Ahardwick~
    29 Mar 1845, Bristol
    Charles Puddy/Elizabeth Hardwick
    Alma

And some earlier Puddy/Hardwick marriages.

18 Jun 1814, Brent Knoll, Somerset.
    William Hardwick/Mary Puddy. Married by licence

09 Jun 1806, Bristol
    Richard Puddy/Hannah Hardwick

05 Apr 1795, Clapton in Gordano
    Susannah Hardwick/Robert Puddy
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast