Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A fountain of knowledge

JRIZZO

I emailed a Scottish genealogist who has done work for me and asked him about your posting, copying some of what you
    have stated. He replied as follows - don't know if this helps, but at least the thought was there!
    Best wishes
    Jill

"If you go to the Great Britain Family Names website at gbnames {dot} publicprofiler {dot} org/Surnames.aspx and enter the name Tate, it becomes clear that this surname is most commonly found in north-east England. However, there is a Scottish equivalent, Tait, which indicates that this spelling is more common in Scotland.

A list of genealogists can be found at the website of the Scottish Genealogy Network, scottishgenealogynetwork {dot} blogspot {dot} co {dot} uk/p/members {dot} html; I would not be interested in pursuing this myself."
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 23-02-2018 at 4:57 PM. Reason: website urls deactivated. Replace {dot} with .

A fountain of knowledge

JRIZZO

I googled James Tate 1635 and there is a lot of info there from other web sites inc a detailed history of a James Tate
    who sailed 1635 but to Virginia but also mentions a William Tate. Don't know if these are your postings.
    Jill

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    JRIZZO

I emailed a Scottish genealogist who has done work for me and asked him about your posting, copying some of what you
    have stated. He replied as follows - don't know if this helps, but at least the thought was there!
    Best wishes
    Jill

"If you go to the Great Britain Family Names website at gbnames {dot} publicprofiler {dot} org/Surnames.aspx and enter the name Tate, it becomes clear that this surname is most commonly found in north-east England. However, there is a Scottish equivalent, Tait, which indicates that this spelling is more common in Scotland.

A list of genealogists can be found at the website of the Scottish Genealogy Network, scottishgenealogynetwork {dot} blogspot {dot} co {dot} uk/p/members {dot} html; I would not be interested in pursuing this myself."
    Thank you, Jill! I appreciate the help!!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes - this is the James Tate in question. He sailed to Barbados, and then continued on to Virginia. I have been struggling to find information about his family in England and/or Scotland. You all have provided me with some great tips on where to direct my search, though!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by jrizzo View Post
    Hello! I am a freelance writer and I have been assisting a client of mine with researching his ancestry. I have managed to trace his family back to 1635, when his 7th great-grandfather immigrated from London to Virginia. I have hit a brick wall in finding information about his family before that time, though. There is evidence that leads me to believe his family may have originated in Scotland.
    I was wondering if any of you can provide me any tips on doing research in Scotland, if I were to travel there? I am not a professional genealogist, but I am skilled at research. Do you think that it would be beneficial to find a professional genealogist, or is this research something I could do myself?

Thank you so much !!
    Before even considering coming over to Scotland I would suggest visiting Salt Lake City and checking their holdings or searching the old Scottish registers on familysearch.
    Only after exhausting SLC would I consider jumping the pond.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have spoken with my client, and he has decided that he would like to send me to Great Britain to complete my research. The plan is for me to fly into Edinburgh, and then out of London. I am planning on checking out the Scotland People's Center in Edinburgh, spending a couple of days in Newcastle (as I have reason to believe this is where his last known ancestor was born) and possibly taking a day trip to Carlisle, and then take the train to London to visit the National Archives there.
    Are there any other places that you call can recommend for me to do research in those areas?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Jennifer

In Edinburgh, the Scotlands People Centre has the better known records - BMDs, Parish records, Valuation Rolls, etc, but for more esoteric material you need to visit the National Records of Scotland, so it's worth checking their catalogue HERE before you leave home. NRS allow readers to use original material and so have more restrictions than SP - no big bags (they have lockers), pencils rather than pens, etc. Laptops are allowed. The first time that you visit, you will be required to register for a reader's ticket so take identification with a photo with you - your passport will do.

I have listed a lot of potential sources at the top of the General Scottish forum HERE.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you so much, Lesley!! I really appreciate your insight!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12