Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Looking for death of grandfather

My grandfather, Horace Hargreaves Hamilton b. 7.6.1893 in Quetta, Bengal India. Believe he died in India between 1930-32. Have not been able to trace any date or place of death.

I have closed the other thread you started with the same question. We avoid duplicate threads because it can cause confusion to members when they try to help and find that they have two places.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

This is his marriage record - note the spelling of his middle name. On the transcript of his baptismal record it is Hardgrave.
    Horace Hargrave Hamilton
    Age 29
    Birth Date - 1895
    Married 28 Feb 1924
    Marriage Place - Meerut, Bengal, India
    Father - George Hamilton
    Spouse - Alice Mabel Barran
    FHL Film 527572

I can't see a death for him as yet.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I do have this information. His middle name is actually Hargreaves which is a family surname which I have traced back a few generations. Transcribing names is often incorrect as I'm sure many of us have experienced. I have looked on fibis, the India room of the british Liobrary, Ancestry and Find my Past, all without success. Thank you; much appreciated. Alice Mabel's surname is Barrans - I have seen it spelt as Baron, Barrones & Barran.

Growing old Disgracefully

Looking for someone else's family in India a few days ago this message came up as no Parents names on Birth records after 1915
    you can only find out by a visit to the British Library.
    Found a Baptism for ******* 1927 Rangoon,St John, Bengal but no parents details as its after 1915
    "Full details are available to researchers who visit the British Library in person."

so you might not find them

We crossed posted sorry

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Ok thank you. 1927 fits slightly better with what I am thinking. Physically unable to visit the British Library from Australia but maybe an overseas tip is warranted.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have found new information about Horace. According to notes my mother wrote, he was a colour sergeant in the British Army serving in North India. He died in 1929 of double pneumonia and was 35 at the time of his death. She did not list a place or more detailed date of death. Not having a regiment he may have been attached to, would the War Forces Records be a place to investigate?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Did Horace's widow re marry Aleaxander Clarke? If so it is likely Horace died in India!

How much research have you done on this family, only I note there are 2 brothers Claud Baker b 1894 & John b 1895

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Alice did marry Alexander Clarke on 9.2.1937 in India and I am almost sure Horace died in India as my mother and her sister were sent to boarding school in Simla while Alice worked to support herself and the girls following his death. I have birth records for Claude b. 1894, d.7.2.1935 in Burma, his marriage and children (Margaret and Malcolm who died with their father in a house fire); John's date of birth I have as 10.4.1897 in Simla and I think there may have been a sister Margaret but unable to find birth or death dates but assume , if there was a sister, it was between Claude and John. Have no death date or place for John or Jack as he was known. At the time of Horace and Alice's marriage, Horace was listed as a teacher at the Bishop Cotton School, so I am wondering if he joined the British Army sometime after his marriage and died while on duty?