Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Where do I go from here?

Thanks to this site, I think I may be on the way to demolishing a 20 year old brick wall. My ggg-grandfather, James Anderson, is listed here as in the Royal Artillery, 15th Brigade, army number 488, ref WO 10/2679. I would like to find out where he came from in the UK. The only documents I can find for him is his marriage in Cork, Ireland, to Catherine Turner in 1861, and his death in Woolwich in 1867 from encephalitis. He had two daughters born in 1862 and 1863 in Shoeburyness and Woolwich, respectively. He is not on any census as in 1851 he was in Ireland and he had died before the 1861 one.
    Is there any way I could find out more about him from his army details on the internet? I have looked at the WO reference in the National Archives on the internet but cannot make much sense out of it. I do not live in the UK so it is difficult to visit the NA.
    I would really appreciate any help or advice anyone could give me.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

well the marriage was at Aghada (or Midleton ?), Cloyne, Cork and his father was George Anderson - so I guess that's a start.

my knowledge of Irish geography is zero.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    Hi

well the marriage was at Aghada (or Midleton ?), Cloyne, Cork and his father was George Anderson - so I guess that's a start.

my knowledge of Irish geography is zero.
    is his death GRO reference Volume 01D page 489, under Lewisham Union ? in which case he was 32 years old at death ?

Loves to help with queries

James and family on at least three family trees on An@@y with his place of birth as being Yorkshire c1835 as well as two sons John and George Henry and two daughters Catherine and Elizabeth, but would need confirming.
    So maybe look for James on 1841 and 1851 Yorkshire census with father George as head of family.
    Will look further into for you

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by tullamore View Post
    James and family on at least three family trees on An@@y with his place of birth as being Yorkshire c1835 as well as two sons John and George Henry and two daughters Catherine and Elizabeth, but would need confirming.
    So maybe look for James on 1841 and 1851 Yorkshire census with father George as head of family.
    Will look further into for you
    You may have this already but may be of interest

Catherine married again on 11th July 1869 at the St Mary Magdelene, Woolwich to a widower, John Copp,a gunner in the Royal Artillery. Her father John Turner was a coast guard

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    Hi

well the marriage was at Aghada (or Midleton ?), Cloyne, Cork and his father was George Anderson
    The marriage cert is available at Irish Genealogy - James Anderson, Middleton, Quarter 1, vol 8 page 92.
    Wimsey - are you able to provide George's occupation?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    The marriage cert is available at Irish Genealogy - James Anderson, Middleton, Quarter 1, vol 8 page 92.
    Wimsey - are you able to provide George's occupation?
    sorry, no.

Strangely FMP has two marriages of James Anderson to Catherine Turner in 1861 in Cork, the one with father George has marriage dated 20 August 1861 (at Midleton). The other is dated 19 November 1861 (at Aghada). I didn't notice the date discrepancy before.

In Scotland, you sometimes see that in the records when the happy couple come from different parishes. Mostly, it's records of the banns being called, a few times I've seen notes along the lines of "XX of this parish was married this day to YY in PARISH by the Rev ZZ".

To clarify, "Quarter 1" in my earlier post does not imply "Jan- Mar" The full entry in the index is "Returns Quarter 1" and all records pre. 1870 show 1 - no other value. From 1870 this info is no longer included.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thanks for this, I will investigate further! According to my records, he had two daughters, Catherine and Margaret born to him and Catherine Turner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast