Default Need help starting my research

My great great grandfather was called Thomas Edwards. He was born in 1885 and served in the second Boer war, India, and the First world war.
    My gigantic pediment is; I know little else about him. He was shot and Mons in 1914, and was subsequently discharged from the Army. He eventually died from the injury on the 25th of November, 1951.
    I would really appreciate any help you can offer in helping me discoverer more about him, such as medals and maybe even possible photographs.
    Thank you.
    Edit: my grandfather said he possibly served with the Liverpool regiment, the royal artillery, or maybe an Irish one, but he's not sure.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you what we do and why you were directed to our forums.
    More than 60% of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11 so there is only a very slim chance you will find what you are looking for. Medal Roll Index Cards and Award and medal records did survive but they very very rarely have any personal information on them.
    Can you tell us where your great grandfather was born? His parents/wife/children? Anything to distinguish him from others with the same name. His is not an uncommon name so if there is no service record without a regiment or regiment number it will be very difficult to identify a Medal Roll Index card for him but we will do our best.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

there are a lot of Thomas Edwards with those dates do you have places of birth and death might help

sorry Christanel you beat me to it

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Poldarias,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Edwards is quite a common name but I'm sure that with a little more careful thought you can tell us a lot more about him.
    Firstly, do you have a birth date for him? Do you know where he was born? Do you even have a birth certificate? Who did he marry, and when? Do you have a copy of the marriage certificate, which should tell you his father's name and occupation. If you know his birthdate, his wife's name, and/or where he might have been living in 1939, have you looked for him in the 1939 Register which is available on Findmypast. You can take out a free 14-day trial (though make sure you untick the automatic renewal box, buy a few pay-as-you-go credits or see if your local library has access to FMP. (I'm not sure if the library edition has the 1939 Register on it though.)

If you don't have Thomas' marriage certificate but know who he married then you should be able to find his marriage on https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    Certificates should be ordered via the GRO https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ and will cost £9.25

Pam
    the slowest typist on the block
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks for the replys,
    He was born in Liverpool in 1885 and his parents were George and Ellen Edwards (nee Sayer), he married Catherine Harney (b.14th March 1889) in December 1906. He had a number of children (around 6), but my Great grandmother(the oldest) was called Mary and was born on the 1st of February 1908.

There are some records on Findmypast his service no is 6294 4th Liverpool Regt he attested in 1902
    this should help you find his medal card ...........as Pam said FMP is free in some Library's

Thank you for this! Do you have a link for that record please?
    I've been having a look through WO 100 microfilms on the National Archive website to try and find him, I've not had any success yet.

This is the link to Findmypast where sandiep found the service record
    Click on search then from the dropdown menu click on Military. Enter his name and birth year +/- 2years. His is the only record that shows up but you won't be able to access it unless you buy some credits. One of the libraries local to you may have the free library version.
    Even if you find it on The National Archives site they will redirect you to Findmypast as they have licensed that company to transcribe and put those records online
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thomas EDWARDS m. Catherine HARNEY 25th December 1906, All Saints, Liverpool.
    Thomas, 21, bachelor, occupation labourer. Father, George, labourer.
    Catherine, 17, spinster. Father, Thomas, basket maker.
    Witnesses John DORAN and Mary Ann LAWLESS
    Source – Liverpool Church of England Marriages and Banns 1813-1921.

Note Thomas's occupation, which suggests that there was a gap between the army service which sandiep found for you and any WW1 military service. This would indicate a separate set of records (if any survive!).

These appear to be the EDWARDS Children:

Mary b. 1908 Liverpool Q1 8B 80
    Catherine b. 1915 West Derby Q1 8B 870
    Annie b. 1919 West Derby Q2 8B 742
    Ellen b. 1921 West Derby Q2 8B 1022
    Thomas b. 1925 West Derby Q1 8B 1004
    Christina b. 1926 West Derby Q4 8B 101 All have mother's maiden name HARNEY.

Note the gap between Mary's birth and Catherine's birth.

Peter