Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Charles Perry Born abt. 1807 Ireland

Hi,
    I am researching my grandmother's side of the family by the name Perry. I am from Canada and my grandmother was born in Point Au Bay, Newfoundland. I am trying to find my great great great grandfather Charles Perry born abt: 1807, i heard it was on a boat in Ireland. His Wife's name is Esther ?. He arrived in Newfoundland, Canada somewhere between 1828 and 1835. I heard it was 1833 but can not confirm. I also heard that he had 2 brothers travel with him by the names of George Perry and John Perry but can not confirm that either. I do know he died in 1882 in Exploits Island, Newfoundland, Canada. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated. I have been stuck on him for over 6 years now. Probably cause i can't afford to pay for certain sites lol.
    Thank you in advanced for your time.
    Pam

Hi Pam and welcome to British Genealogy.

I have moved your post as it was on the end of a long thread which may have confused members who try to help in your search. Your query now has a proud thread of its own.
    Alma

Could this be his wife with her name mistranscribed?

Jane Penny born abt. 1803, died 7th Sep 1881 at Carbonear, Conception Bay, Newfoundland, widow of the late Charles Penny
    Alma

Is this the baptism of one of his children?

Name: Eunice Perry
    Event Type: Birth
    Event Date: 27 May 1843
    Event Place: Exploits Burnt Island, Twillingate, Newfoundland, Canada
    Father's Name: Charles Perry
    Mother's Name: Esther
    Alma

There are two or three trees for this family on ancestry but no sources. At least one of them has a daughter Eunice to this couple plus quite a few other children but none of them has parents for Charles or Esther.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

Perry is a reasonably common name in Ireland. In the 1901 census there were 1135 people of that name. You can use this site to see where the surname was found in the mid 1800s:

https://www.johngrenham.com/browse/

Spread across Ireland with perhaps the most in the counties of Ulster.
    You really need to have some idea of where in Ireland he was born, his denomination and his parents names (from a marriage or death certificate perhaps) to be sure of tracing the right family. Otherwise it’s a needle in a haystack.

Charles birth and marriage were before the start of statutory registration in Ireland, so you won’t find a birth or marriage certificate for him. You might find his baptism or church marriage records but to do that you need to know his denomination and roughly where he lived.

DNA testing may be the most likely way of linking in with a family that knows more of this man’s background.
    ELWYN

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hi Pam and welcome to British Genealogy.

I have moved your post as it was on the end of a long thread which may have confused members who try to help in your search. Your query now has a proud thread of its own.
    Hi Alma

Thank you for welcoming me and thank you for the move.

Pam

Hi Alma,

Yes this is one of his children.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Could this be his wife with her name mistranscribed?

Jane Penny born abt. 1803, died 7th Sep 1881 at Carbonear, Conception Bay, Newfoundland, widow of the late Charles Penny
    HI,
    No, His wife died in 1898. She was the first person to be buried in Exploits, Newfoundland. But thank you
    Pam

by canadawolf
    No, His wife died in 1898. She was the first person to be buried in Exploits, Newfoundland.
    But in your first post you say
    bycanadawolf
    I do know he died in 1882 in Exploits Island, Newfoundland, Canada
    As so much of your information is hearsay it may be better if we start from scratch.
    Is there any evidence at all to say Charles Perry was from Ireland.? Any evidence to say he definitely arrived in Newfoundland no later than 1835?
    Do you have he and his family in any Canadian censuses before Charles and Esther's deaths?
    Sorry for all the questions but we need to sort out facts from family hearsay which is sometimes right and sometimes not.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast