Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Boer War 2 to WW1 - Stevens

Hi Everyone,

My Names Chantelle Stevens i have been trying to find a photo of my 2 x Great Grandfather James Stevens who was in the Rifle Brigade and Royal Engineers, I have found one in the 13th Hussars but im not 100% certain if this is him, does anyone have any recommendations for the best website or records to use or if they can confirm this is Corporal James Stevens. He was born at the beginning of 1888, father and brother William and on my great grandfathers birth certificate it says that James was Corporal , Royal Engineers, 1915,

Thankyou

Kind Regards

I think that you need to focus on things that have a definite paper trail. The most solid thing in the info you give is that on his son's birth cert he was a Cpl in the Royal Engineers. Remember that if he had changed regiments, etc, his number would probably have changed.

Why do you offer the Boer War as a possibility if he was born in 1888? He would have been 14 when it finished. He could have been in Africa afterwards, depending on when he joined up.

What is his occupation on his marriage certificate?

Do you know whether he had a middle name?

There are 13 men called James Stevens listed for WW1 medals in the Royal Engineers. None of them are listed as having had the DCM, but this might have been issued after the card was made out. Another 10 have their names spelled Stevens. They can be seen on Ancestry or FMP. You need to go through them and look for Cpls and DCMs. The London Gazette should tell you which J. Stevens got the DCM - remember that he could have been a John, or other names beginning with J. If he WAS the one with the DCM, you might find a report in his local newspaper ("local boy did good"type of thing).

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Ancestry has a J Stephens in the 13th Hussars and Royal Engineers being awarded the DCM-

Name: J. Stephens
    Military Date: 3 Sep 1919
    Unit Location: United Kingdom
    Residence Location: Manchester
    Regiment, Corps, or Unit: Royal Engineers
    Regimental Number: 66924
    Also has MIC on Ancestry- Jack Stephens DCM and an index card for his DCM under J Stephens.

Name: J. Stevens
    Unit Location: United Kingdom
    Residence Location: Newton Abbot
    Regiment, Corps, or Unit: 13th Hussars
    Regimental Number: 2901
    3 index cards on Ancestry - mid, - John Stephens, medal card (trio) and DCM

LG will also have the Full citations.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi on James's Pension record there are dates ranging from 1902 to 1914 his time of service in the royal engineers ( 11198), on his marriage certificate it mentions he is a butcher, has no middle name. Then he was going to start in the 5th Rifle Brigade in 1914 but was discharged.

Thankyou for your help

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by chanstevens View Post
    royal engineers ( 11198)
    That man was aged 22 years 6 months when he attested in June 1902. He was born in Nottingham and was a bricklayer. His father was Henry STEVENS of Farnham in Surrey.

Reputation beyond repute

I think you should tell us exactly what you know about James Stevens. Not what you assume or are guessing but what you know. This means documentary evidence.

For example you say you have his son's birth certificate. For a start what exactly is shown on that certificate?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi i have the Birth, Marriage and Death of James Stevens in front of me,

BIRTH OF JAMES STEVENS
    22nd Feb 1888 - 68 Silver St Reading, Berkshire, England
    Father - William Stevens
    Mother - Amelia formerly Sea bright

MARRIAGE OF JAMES STEVENS AND OLIVE BROOKER
    31st May 1913
    Age - 25 years old
    Residents - 527 oxford road reading
    Occupation - Tram conductor
    Father William Deceased

Migrated in 1927 to Australia and then returned on his own to England a few years later

DEATH OF JAMES
    12th April 1959 - 70 Usk Rd Tilehurst, Reading
    Age - 71
    Retired Butcher Shopman

Census 1911
    Residents - 66 Silver st Reading
    Occupation - Butcher shop assistant

Also know from previous census's that he was the second oldest out of 6 children

BIRTH OF JAMES STEVENS SON
    Ernest James Wilfred Stevens ( my great grandfather ) Born: 24th June 1915
    Residents - 31 Wilson rd, Reading
    Fathers Occupation - Corporal, Royal Engineers and ( Butchers Journeyman )

Reputation beyond repute

You now accept that neither (a) the man in the Hussars nor (b) 11198, Royal Engineers is your man, don't you?

The only Cpl James Stevens in the Royal Engineers that I can see is 69061. It may be the right one but looking at the card it doesn't really feel right.

There appears to be the birth of another child, Vivienne, in 1920. It might be interesting to know what is shown on the birth certificate for the father's occupation.