Default RAF Heany, Bulawayo 1950

I am trying to find out more about the death of Flt Lt Alan Warnecke who was a flying instructor there and died aged 29 in Sept 1950. Can anyone help please?

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you a little about us and why you arrived here at Brit-Gen.
    Maybe a member of the Forces Reunited site can help with your query.
    https://www.forcesreunited.co.uk/units/2276/raf-heany

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Cause of death will be found on his death certificate which can be ordered from the GRO.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    You need to quote:
    Name
    Station: Bulawayo
    Year: 1950
    Page: (36) 2
    The record is found in Army Returns, Deaths 1946-1950

I confess that I've never seen the page number written like that before so if you find that the system won't accept it then you can phone the GRO instead and order over the phone.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

It looks as if Alan's mother died in Ilford registration district in 1958 so there may be a report of his death in a local paper.
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/ilford.html
    (Florence was living in Ilford in 1939.)
    Actually, double reason that there might be a report in an Ilford or Barking newspaper - Alan married in the same registration district in 1948 so his wife might have been living in the area at the time of his death.

The local library usually has the local newspaper(s). You can search for free if you go in person, but there may be a charge if you want someone to look for you. But (unless you already know the date of death) you need the death certificate to provide the date of death so you have only a small window of newspaper reading to do.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default RAF Heany Accident

Quote Originally Posted by Dhupol View Post
    I am trying to find out more about the death of Flt Lt Alan Warnecke who was a flying instructor there and died aged 29 in Sept 1950. Can anyone help please?
    I have been researching accidents to Royal Air Force aircraft for about 40 years now and I have some information relating to your query.

Flt. Lt Warnecke was acting as instructor with a student pilot named Officer Cadet ED Terry, they were flying in a Tiger Moth T2 numbered T5821 of 4 RFS. The aircraft stalled and crashed near RAF Heany, Rhodesia killing the instructor but the student survived.

It seems that Flt Lt Warnecke may have been badly injured in the accident as he apparently died on 29 Sept but the crash occurred on 21 Sept.

Hope this helps.

QP