Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Onions mystery

  1. #41
    Famous for offering help & advice
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    1,483

    Default

    There also seems to be a William Onions who married a Harriet Langton in Birmingham in 1854. And FS have a George S Onions b 1862 Springfield Mass d 1864, parents William Onions and Harriet Langton.
    And as I can also find this lot in 1860 - sorry - I've mixed up all my Onions!

    Apologies if I have added to the confusion....

  2. #42
    Knowledgeable and helpful
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Parbold, Lancashire
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Um, the only problem with that is that the burial date is given as 23 August 1876, which is slightly adrift from Ron's date of 1900. However he admits that his death date is from other people's tree(s) on Ancestry, so probably unreliable.
    However, you said that you had birthdate and origins information which fitted. Where did you find that?
    Pam, this is the post which I had prepared just before your #26:

    William ONIONS d. 22nd August 1876 aged 56 in St Louis, Missouri.

    The hand-written register is available to view on Ancestry but is somewhat illegible. It does look like this man was born in England and buried in Bellefontaine cemetery.

    The Bellefontaine cemetery has a William ONIONS buried 23rd August 1876.

    https://bellefontainecemetery.org/

    A separate death record transcription gives his address as 'Ferry Nr Broadway'. This could be Ferry Street which intersects with North Broadway, St Louis.

    Peter

  3. #43
    Knowledgeable and helpful
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Parbold, Lancashire
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post

    William ONIONS d. 22nd August 1876 aged 56 in St Louis, Missouri.
    The source for this is Missouri, Death Records, 1850-1931 on Ancestry.

    Peter

  4. #44
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change. Pam Downes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    7,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    There also seems to be a William Onions who married a Harriet Langton in Birmingham in 1854. And FS have a George S Onions b 1862 Springfield Mass d 1864, parents William Onions and Harriet Langton.
    And as I can also find this lot in 1860 - sorry - I've mixed up all my Onions!

    Apologies if I have added to the confusion....
    From what I can gather from Sandyhall's posts your Onions are no more mixed up than those on compiled family trees on Ancestry.
    We often think that 'unusual' names will be easy to trace but it's surprising (unless the name is really rare) how many times the same first names (in this case William and Harriet) marry and complicate searches.

    I think it's quite good that you've found this other William and Harriet and from a fairly-nearby location from the first ones. It at least makes other sleuths aware.

    Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

  5. #45

    Default

    Here's what I found the other day, but didn't post as it was suggested we wait until Ron came back to this thread.

    Maybe we should be looking in Canada for the deaths of William and Harriet.

    Lillie Mary Kear, born 18 June 1863, Toronto Canada.
    Died 6 Feb 1920, Chicago, Cook, Illinois
    Buried 9 Feb 1920, Mt Hope
    Street address: 3319 W. 55th, 29 Ward
    Father Name: Wm Onion, born England
    Mother Name: Hariette [sic] Thomas, born England
    Spouse Name: Andrew J Kear

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Harriet (dau) died as Harriet Amanda Turner 12 Dec 1917, Troy New York. She married Isaiah Turner 18 Nov 1860 in Toronto.
    https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/108422145
    Alma

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...:33S7-9YBC-WY9

    Could this be the family in 1880?
    William Onyans with a new wife Mary A, but with sons William L b England and Isaac T b Mass.
    Living in German Flats, Herkimer, NY.

    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...:S3HT-6PXQ-PFF

    Then in 1900 still in Herkimer with another new wife Adeline?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Um, the only problem with that is that the burial date is given as 23 August 1876, which is slightly adrift from Ron's date of 1900. However he admits that his death date is from other people's tree(s) on Ancestry, so probably unreliable.
    However, you said that you had birthdate and origins information which fitted. Where did you find that?


    I know you didn't intend to cause problems but if you don't give us information we can't help - or at least, not as much as we'd like to.
    For the moment ignore other people's trees. (My own cousin was stupid enough to copy part of a tree where children where born to a father who'd died about ten years earlier which just proves how unreliable people's research can be.)
    We'll take this back in baby-steps.

    1. Have you found your Onions grandparent(s)/great grandparent(s) in, say, the 1920 census? (I've no idea of how old you are so I'm not sure which generation we're looking at in that census.) Where are they living? depending on their age(s) were they living there in the 1910, 1900 census as well? If not, where were they living?
    2. I know that the vast majority of the 1890 census is missing, so have you been able to trace the your ancestor back from the 1900 census to 1880, and if so, where were they living then?
    3. You have the family in 1860. What are their names, ages, and (again) where are they living? Bearing in mind that children might move away from home and in the case of girls marry and therefore change their surname, can you bring any of that 1860 family forward to 1870? Then how does that fit with anyone you've found in 1880?

    4. Last question (for now ) - for anyone in the 1860/1870/1880 census that you've found, have you read all the columns re naturalisation etc, and have you found any supporting evidence? e.g. if someone was born in the US have you found a copy of birth registration or a baptism? O any more 'Intent to marry' documents like the one for Thomas Barrie in your other thread?

    Pam
    Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    There also seems to be a William Onions who married a Harriet Langton in Birmingham in 1854. And FS have a George S Onions b 1862 Springfield Mass d 1864, parents William Onions and Harriet Langton.
    And as I can also find this lot in 1860 - sorry - I've mixed up all my Onions!

    Apologies if I have added to the confusion....
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Pam, this is the post which I had prepared just before your #26:

    William ONIONS d. 22nd August 1876 aged 56 in St Louis, Missouri.

    The hand-written register is available to view on Ancestry but is somewhat illegible. It does look like this man was born in England and buried in Bellefontaine cemetery.

    The Bellefontaine cemetery has a William ONIONS buried 23rd August 1876.

    https://bellefontainecemetery.org/

    A separate death record transcription gives his address as 'Ferry Nr Broadway'. This could be Ferry Street which intersects with North Broadway, St Louis.

    Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldmac View Post
    Where did you find this info?
    Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Onions

    Harriet 28, Harriet 8, Diana 6, Eunice 4, William 2, arrived New York 7 Jun 1852 on the ship 'Corra Linn' They set sail from Glagow.
    Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Courtesy of https://www.familysearch.org/
    Name: William Onions
    Spouse's Name: Harriet Thomas
    Event Date: 09 May 1841
    Event Place: St George'S, Wolverhampton, Stafford, England
    Father's Name: George Onions
    Spouse's Father's Name: William Thomas

    Harriet and children left for New York in 1852 (see #11) I haven't looked for William on passenger lists yet, I'm assuming he left before his wife
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    Ancestry has this
    Name: William Onions
    Registration Year: 1841
    Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
    Registration district: Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
    Volume no: 17 Page no: 311
    Records on Page:
    William Onions
    Harriet Thomas
    Lots of other names on the page

    Also on Family search with fathers name or Find my Past. Official Record.

    You need to be looking for records in America for deaths
    Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Here's what I found the other day, but didn't post as it was suggested we wait until Ron came back to this thread.

    Maybe we should be looking in Canada for the deaths of William and Harriet.

    Lillie Mary Kear, born 18 June 1863, Toronto Canada.
    Died 6 Feb 1920, Chicago, Cook, Illinois
    Buried 9 Feb 1920, Mt Hope
    Street address: 3319 W. 55th, 29 Ward
    Father Name: Wm Onion, born England
    Mother Name: Hariette [sic] Thomas, born England
    Spouse Name: Andrew J Kear

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Harriet (dau) died as Harriet Amanda Turner 12 Dec 1917, Troy New York. She married Isaiah Turner 18 Nov 1860 in Toronto.
    https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/108422145
    The 1860 census from Buffalo City NY shows William and Harriett Onions. George is 5 years old and we have death certificate for him from Iowa 1925. His birth date was June 30 1855. This kind of varifies we have the right people on Census.
    These Onion's are my wife's 2 great Grandparents.

  7. #47
    Growing old Disgracefully
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, ENGLAND
    Posts
    3,022

    Default

    Note: I can only help with English records.

    I have found at least 3 William Onions married to a Harriet ?????

    Our one we are looking at William Onions. Baptized 11 Nov 1821, Bilston, Stafford,England
    Father George Mother Diana Williams
    and Harriet Thomas her Father William Thomas
    On the 1841 Census William and Harriet (name Miss transcribed as Cuious when it says Ditto) Onions living in Bilston, Wolverhampton.

    On the Scotish 1851 Census Fireworks, Govan, Lanarkshire
    William Onions 29 (Puddler)
    Harriet Onions 28
    Harriet Onions 6 1844 England
    Diana Onions 4 1846 England
    Eunice Onions 3 1848 Durham, England
    William Onions 11 Mo 1850 Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland

    1860 US Census The 11th Ward Buffalo City, County Erie, State New York
    William Onions Male 38 1822 England
    Harriett Onions Female 35 1825 England
    Harriet Onions Female 15 1845 England
    Diana Onions Female 14 1846 England
    Unis Onions Female 12 1848 England
    William Onions Male 10 1850 England
    Joseph Onions Male 7 1853 England
    George Onions Male 5 1855 New York
    Thomas Onions Male 3 1857 New York

    That's all I found on this faimly

  8. #48
    Growing old Disgracefully
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, ENGLAND
    Posts
    3,022

    Default

    The Owners of trees on Ancestry are very Confused and have added the children of this other William's and Harriet's Onions family.

    William Onions,1824, Brurley Hill, Staffordshire, England
    Death July 1902 • King's Norton, Worcestershire, England. Father John Onions
    Occupation Butcher/Farmer
    Harriet Lucy Albrighton, 1823 Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
    April 1892 Worcester, Worcestershire. father Richard Albrighton.
    Children.
    William Alfred Onions, 1847– Kinver, Staffordshire, England
    Mary Jane Onions, JUN 1849 Kinver, Staffordshire, England
    Emily Norris Onions, JULY 1851 Kinver, Staffordshire, England
    Sarah Ann Onions, 1855 Kinver, Staffordshire, England.

    I have followed this family through all the census etc MMN is Albrighton on Births on FreeBMD.

  9. #49
    Growing old Disgracefully
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, ENGLAND
    Posts
    3,022

    Default

    Next generation back

    Williams father George Onions married Diana Williams
    Had other children
    Sarah Onions, Baptism Date 05 Oct 1815, St. Leonard's, Bilston, Stafford, England
    Mary Anne Onions, Baptism Date 09 Apr 1820, Bilston,Stafford,England, Death Date 03 Dec 1820
    James Onions, 01 Feb 1824 Baptism Place Bilston,Stafford,England, DEATH APRIL 1885 Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
    Anne Onions BIRTH 1826 • Bilston, Staffordshire, England
    Joseph Onions BIRTH 1829 • Bilston, Staffordshire, England. DEATH APRIL 1880 • Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
    Mary Onions Baptism Date 19 Feb 1832, Bilston,Stafford,England

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Select a file: