Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Does "Seven Stones" mean anything to anyone?

I recently acquired a copy of a rough family tree that my 2nd great grandfather drew up some time in the 1930s. Rather than a proper detailed family tree it's like he has just written down all the family names, locations and dates that he could remember and drawn the links between them. Anyway, next to my 5th great grandmother Jane MANTON, he wrote what looks like 7 Stones Belton (Hayes).

The MANTON family where from Grantham and surrounding areas - some having been born in Belton by Grantham. I think Hayes might be a reference to a surname - maybe the maiden name of Jane MANTON's mother. I haven't got a clue about 7 stones though. I just assumed it was a place in Lincolnshire or maybe the name of a pub.

If it means anything to anyone, let me know. I've tried searching old maps but no luck so far.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Do you have any dates for Jane. Looking om fmp there are several Jane Mantons, both baptised and buried in Belton.

Emeltee

It sounds as though it could be a farm name... Have a look for an OS map of the appropriate period - it would help to have idea of the dates (even a rough guess at the year).

You could also ask the Lincoln Archives - contact info is on the GENUKI page HERE.

Mind you, when I managed to persuade Google not to throw every stone circle its ever heard of at me, it produced a postcard on Ebay called "A photograph of the Plymouth Devonport & South Western Junction Railway station at Seven Stones." It might not be in Lincs...

Famous for offering help & advice

Are there 7 stones relating to the family at Belton Churchyard. #random thought.

probably irrelevant but looking at censuses the surname Stones seems to be quite common in Belton

sorry, I should qualify that. On the 1911 census there are 22 people with the surname Stones in Belton (info from FMP)

Not finding anything much for Seven Stones, I wondered if it might have been misread before someone overwrote on it.

There used to be an inn called the Seven Stars on Manthorpe Road, Grantham, which is the road leading out of town to Belton. I've found references in White's Directories from the 1840s (there may be others) - 1842 is online at Lincs To The Past, and 1846 at Google Books.

It's not totally clear from the write-up, but it might be the building in these sale particulars:
    https://www.
    rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34034122.html

There's a Seven Stones Lightship down off the Lizard/Isles of Scilly. Near the Seven Stones Reef.
    A bit far from Lincolnshire though, and not somewhere inhabited ...
    Perhaps the name of a Pub?

Jane

Starting to feel at home

Thanks everyone. I will definitely look into the possibility of the Seven Stars. Unfortunately my grandmother decided to write over most things with a pen and she didn't always get it right.

Apologies for not providing more information on Jane MANTON. She was born around 1795 in Grantham (or Belton), Lincs. So far I have been unable to find a baptism record for her so I have had to go on the information I have from the census records. She married Christopher Minta in Belton in 1816 and her 6 children were born in Belton.

I will also look at the possibility of Stone being another surname in the family tree.

As for the Seven Stones Lightship in Cornwall, I did look into this briefly as I thought I found one of the MANTON family living in Cornwall in 1841, but this was completely the wrong end of Cornwall to be anything to do with the lightship...at least as far as I can tell.

It's not totally clear from the write-up, but it might be the building in these sale particulars:
    rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34034122.html[/

I can't open that url, but this turned up; could it be the same?

from https://www.granthammatters.co.uk/pla...plications-24/
    Grantham S16/0483 – Repainting of windows and doors of a listed building; *** Seven Stars 75 Manthorpe Road Grantham NG31 8DA
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 19-01-2018 at 1:27 AM. Reason: *** Applicant's name removed

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by daleaway View Post
    rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34034122.html[/

I can't open that url,
    You need to copy and paste both lines in to your search engine and remove the space(s) after www. also remove [/ from the example above.

The article is from 2012 and states that the Seven Stars ceased to be a tavern in 1860s

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast