Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

I also found that my browser got there it if I just used the line beginning 'rightmove (but without the "[/").

As it appears to be a listed building, you can find more about it online:
    https://www.
    historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1062494
    britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101062494-75-and-77-manthorpe-road-south-kesteven#.WmHVZXnLjDc

A search at Lincs To The Past brings up a number of references, mostly from Lincolnshire Life magazine. These appear to be digitised copies, but I haven't delved into them. I used an advanced search for "seven stars grantham" (without quotes) at
    lincstothepast.com/Search

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Titbits picked up whilst looking for the info you request, you may have most of these, however it does establish that the family were from Belton

The 1816 marriage Licence, you need to see a copy of the original, states both parties were OTP ( of this parish ) both born circa 1795

Contains marriage details
    Stamford Mercury 30 August 1816

In 1824 Christopher was desc as a gamekeeper of Belton when he joined Kesteven Militia

In 1871 Jane Minta was living in the Almhouses she appears to have died in 1876......was this the last recollection the author of the notes had of his ancestor?

Were the Almhouses known locally as Seven Stones?

I wonder if she had a place in the almhouse due her late husband being 'an estate employee' / only presuming he was the estate Gamekeeper

. GAME NOTlCES—continued from lst page. T' .. HARROWBY. HE EARL of HARROWBY having appointed Christopher Minta, of Belton, to Gamekeeper for the Manor of Harrowbv, gentlemen are requested to abstain from sporting thereon without leave: unqualified persons
    05 September 1823 - Stamford Mercury - Stamford, Lincolnshire, England

Have a look at the Gamekeeper entry for Manton & Minta
    Stamford Mercury 15 September 1809

On the 18th of Feb., on his passage home from India, aged 24, Christopher Minta, of the 3d Light Dragoons, son of the late Mr. C. Minta, formerly of Belton, near Grantham. The deceased was with his
    20 September 1844 - Lincolnshire Chronicle - Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England
    Mentions fought in the Kyber Pass

(by the Hon. and Rev. Richard Cnst, rector) Mr. William Hilton, of Sheftield, to Mary Jane, daughter of the late Mr. Christopher Minta. 22 October 1859 - Grantham Journal - Grantham, Lincolnshire, England

Alfred youngest surviving sou the late Mr. Christopher Minta/aT Beltou, nrer Gran- Bourn, the inst, (by the Bar. J. P. Sharps,) Nuoa, Ehs. both of this parish. At Boura, on inst
    15 June 1861 - Grantham Journal - Grantham, Lincolnshire, England

On the 15th inst., at 4, Cummington-street, Pentonville, Mr. Charles Minta, son of the late Mr. Christopher Minta, of Belton near Grantham, and for many years connected with the Nottingham 1.0. of Odd Fellows,
    18 June 1870 - Grantham Journal - Grantham, Lincolnshire, England

ln Spittlegate, oh the 20th ult., Jane widow of Christopher Minta, late of Belton,
    04 March 1876 - Grantham Journal - Grantham, Lincolnshire, England

MINT A.—On the 24th inst., 55. Blodwell-street, CHRISTOPHER, the beloved husband Elizabeth and eldest son of the late Christopher Minta, Road. Interment Weaste Cemetry to-morrow
    27 July 1917 - Manchester Evening News - Manchester, Greater Manchester, England

This maybe of interest
    https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/uplo...axholmepar.pdf

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post

It might be 'of interest' but Belton in Axholme is basically t'other end of the county to Belton near Grantham.

I'll try to post the correct link when I go to my laptop - my tablet doesn't do fancy stuff.

ADDED: My tablet isn't the only thing that doesn't do fancy stuff. I can't display a link the way geneius did, so I'll have to do it the 'long way'.
    https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/libr.../53997.article
    Then scroll down to Belton (Grantham)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Geography on the other side of England isn't my strong point!

Better to the West of the Pennines!

My tablet doesnot do fancy things either , reassuring to know I am not alone

Jx

Starting to feel at home

Just wading into the thread here...... I had an Aunt who would often knit together Fact, Fiction and her own version. Played havoc with 100's of photos........ grrrrrrrrr..

Anyway could the word Hayes have started out as Harrowby ? after all if one doesn't actually know, then any version always seems to fit.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by swendeperle82 View Post
    Apologies for not providing more information on Jane MANTON. She was born around 1795 in Grantham (or Belton), Lincs. So far I have been unable to find a baptism record for her so I have had to go on the information I have from the census records. She married Christopher Minta in Belton in 1816 and her 6 children were born in Belton.
    The name MINTA rang a bell with me, though it's a very distant connection.

My great uncle William Harcourt KENNEDY married Mary Catherine DUNKLEY, whose parents were George DUNKLEY, a prominent inhabitant of Skegness, and Jane Minta GARNER.

Jane was born in Ancaster in 1842 to James GARNER and Catherine WADESON. (They married in Normanton (LIN) in 1839; one of the witnesses was Thomas MINTA.)

Catherine WADESON was baptised in Normanton in 1812, daughter of John WADESON and Jane MINTA. (They married in Normanton in 1792.)

Jane MINTA was baptised in Normanton in 1772, daughter of John and Ann MINTA.

Or to put it another way, this John and Ann MINTA were great great grandparents of the wife of my great uncle. However, please don't get the wrong idea about the depth of my research - this bit started very sketchily in anticipation of something more organised when we lived in Lincolnshire, which I never managed to get round to. I've just taken it back a bit more now to see exactly where the Minta name came from, but I don't expect to do any more on it.

The most likely baptism I could find for your Christopher was in 1790 in Ropsley, son of Thomas and Ann, so very much the same area, but I couldn't see any immediate connection to this one of mine.

One further MINTA reference that I picked up was on another forum, relating to the will of a William of Gonerby, proved 1723:
    rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=495290.0
    The person who posted it said she was interested in contact with other Minta researchers; I didn't do anything about this at the time, although since she has Wadeson interests, which I now find I have a link to as well, I might now do so.

Starting to feel at home

Wow geneius. Thanks very much for this. I had no idea about Christopher Minta being a gamekeeper or being a military man. I guess that explains why his wife was living alone with their children in the census records. It has been very difficult to track down any information about him other than a marriage record and a possible baptism record for 1790 but I can't be 100% sure that it's him.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by arthurk View Post
    The name MINTA rang a bell with me, though it's a very distant connection.

The most likely baptism I could find for your Christopher was in 1790 in Ropsley, son of Thomas and Ann, so very much the same area, but I couldn't see any immediate connection to this one of mine.
    This is the same one that I found arthurk and I do remember coming across the MINTA family in Normanton but it has been a while since I last looked at this info so I can't remember if there was a link to my branch.

From google.books

he wife of James Cordley was Ann Minta, who was born in Ropsley, Lincolnshire, where her father, Thomas Minta, was proprietor of a farm of six hundred acres and was a very prosperous and prominent man. ... Thomas Minta died in I8I6. His daughter, Ann, was educated in the Grantham boarding school and was a woman of fine mind. She died in 1886, when nearly ninety years of age. Of her ten children six sons attained manhood. Christopher M., the eldest, graduated from ...

The history of the MINTA family in England dates back to 1700 when an Italian family of that name was forced to flee from Italy for politucal reasons......

Starting to feel at home

Can I just ask how you found this information? I have done various Google searches to no avail. Also, I don't currently have a paid up account with Ancestry or FMP so I have been doing a lot of my recent research through Family Search and other free resources.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast