Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Thornton death and marriage in Galway

I'm looking for a marriage of a Mr Thornton to a Mary abt. 1828 -1836 (Mary was born about 1813 and her husband died about 1836)
    plus his death about 1836

I'm not hopeful but to verify the marriage is the correct one, Mary ? had two brothers in the army in 1842.

I had a look in the catholic marriage records on Ancestry. The only Thornton marriage to a Mary, in Co. Galway, in the years you have given was in Tuam on 28.11.1835. That was Peter Thornton to Mary Cadwell. The priests’ fee was £1, which was the norm for the average person at that period in that parish, so that couple were neither very wealthy nor pittance poor.

One problem you face is that though many of the parishes in the east part of Co. Galway have records for the years in question, most of those in the west part don’t. Most of the western parishes start in the 1860s. So a significant portion of the records you need don’t exist.

Likewise with the Thornton death in 1836. Statutory death registration only started in Ireland in 1864, and the RC church did not generally keep burial records so there are no comprehensive databases of deaths that you can search. Not many people in the 1830s could afford a gravestone. He may have been buried in an unmarked grave. So you may struggle to find anything about him.
    ELWYN

Thanks.

This is the first Marriage I am aware of so thanks very much.

I am guessing after the word widow the two letters are for Roman Catholic.

Yes I would agree it's likely Roman Catholic.
    ELWYN

Hi Elwyn,

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure if Thornton is Mary's maiden name or married surname.

This woman's information is contradictory.

Her convict papers say she was 29 and a widow, mother Catherine, brothers Michael and Ephraim soldiers someone dead 6 years in 1842
    Her marriage in Tasmania 1843 says she is 25 and a spinster plus in one section has her surname as Thompson.

A search of the PRO WO can not find an Ephraim but there are discharge papers for Edward Thornton born about 1807 and William Thornton born about 1815 both serving at the time she went to Australia in 1842 and both born Galway, Galway, A search of the PRO WO records for any other Michaels in Galway for 1842 did not find any records for any other family with both Michael and Edward (plus other similar names) born in the same place in Galway. If Mary was born in 1813 it was between this Edward and Michael's births. Church registries located a Michael Thornton baptised 1815 with parents Ulich and Cathe

There was an Anne Thornton in 1812 with parents Bate and Catherine as well

So sounding like Thornton may be her maiden name.

These church records I have been looking at are so hit and miss, years missing and one parish (1812 to about 1825 so far) all baptisms are name and date with no other information (several names of people baptised all on the one line with no parents mentioned or age, one entry even says child of above with no name, another says, a soldiers wife)

Kind Regards,

Wayne

I just found a marriage when she would have been 16/17 (if born about 1813) about 7 years before her husband died (I will look for slightly older ones).
    Edward Kelly m Mary Thornton 20 Feb 1829 Market Street (St Nicholas N & E Galway City) Presented by Michael Connaly, Catherine (???? possibly Sydon/Sydow)

I have been looking through the limited parish records available and it is looking as if the marriage I previously mentioned between Edward Kelly and Mary Thornton is not my Mary because my Mary says on her convict papers in 1842 that someone had been dead 6 years. I am thinking her husband as it says she is a widow.

This would mean he died 1836 and the mortuary records I have seen have a Kelly but not Edward.

There is a Marriage between Barthw Lydon and Mary Thornton 22 June 1830. St Nicholas N and E Galway, Market Street Parish, Galway

There is a death of a Lydon (no first name) in 1836 St Nicholas N and E Galway

update: I have found a Baptism for a Mary Thornton 1811 and Michael Thornton 1813 in Rahoon, Co. Galway (both with father John Thornton but no mother put down) plus there is a Baptism for a Catherine Thornton 1820 also in Rahoon, Co. Galway (just a different address) with Father: John Thornton and Mother: Catherine Walsh. My Mary Thornton was born c. 1811 and had a brother Michael. No mention of a sister Catherine but my Mary on her Convict Papers only put her Mother and 2 brothers (so I am guessing only named those still alive as neither her dad or deceased husband were named so Catherine may be a sister who died). It is looking like my Mary Thornton was using her birth Surname after her husband died (as the only War Records I have found for people with her brothers first name of Michael and Ephraim/Ephrain (maybe known as Edward) born in Galway were for a Michael and Edward Thornton who were also born around the same time as Mary (Edward before and Michael after). So I should be looking for a marriage of a Mary Thornton possibly in or around Rahoon, Galway. (If I have found the correct family).