Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Citation for Distinguished Flying Cross?

Sorry to trouble but I would be grateful if someone could advise of definitive/best source for DFC Citations.

I am searching for my Grandfather (Gerald Glover - 156130) and whilst I have found the following details form the London Gazette and there seem to be other websites that offer ‘details’ for a fee, it is not clear if they can/will provide his DFC Citation.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 21 APRIL, 1944:
    Distinguished Flying Cross
    Acting Flight Lieutenant Gerald Roland GLOVER
    (156130), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve,
    No. 10 Squadron

(GLOVER, Gerald Roland, FL - DFC - 440421 - 10 Sqn - RAFVR)

(I also understand he may have been at 298 squadron, Tarrant Rushton - but not confirmed).

I am not far from London if I need to view records in person. Not sure if it is relevant (for access/clearance) but I was a Captain in the British Army myself.

Many thanks.

A fountain of knowledge

RAF Disclosures at Cranwell might be able to help - not sure but you could try. I had help from them with service records.

"Contacts within the Royal Air Force for service personnel, Veterans, Historian and many more. ... The RAF Disclosure address is: RAF Disclosures Room 6, Trenchard Hall RAFC Cranwell Sleaford Lincs NG34 8HB ... Please enquire with the Air Historical Branch. Contact details can be found further down this contact list."

Best wishes
    Jill

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Many thanks Jill - much appreciated.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Glover.

When I was looking for information about medal citations for the men of my Dad's Association, the only official information that I found was what's in the Gazette. During WW2, it wasn't always awarded for one spectacular action, sometimes it was for overall performance over a time period.
    Sometimes, useful info is to be found from the relevant local papers on the basis of "local boy made good", but not always.
    There's a bit of general info HERE.

Good luck!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Lesley. Good advice - I will follow up.

A fountain of knowledge

It's always worth asking commercial websites whether a record contains any specific essential to you also, before payment.
    I've never found one that won't answer or would refuse a polite request anyway.

Most will have some sort of collections list with a reference as to where the information was sourced and more importantly -what specifics are usually found on records from that collection.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    RAF Disclosures at Cranwell might be able to help - not sure but you could try. I had help from them with service records.

"Contacts within the Royal Air Force for service personnel, Veterans, Historian and many more. ... The RAF Disclosure address is: RAF Disclosures Room 6, Trenchard Hall RAFC Cranwell Sleaford Lincs NG34 8HB ... Please enquire with the Air Historical Branch. Contact details can be found further down this contact list."

Best wishes
    Jill
    Jill, I think you'll find that Cranwell deal only with service records. Keep reading re what the TNA research guide says.(The bit in bold.)

Glover -
    Searching the forum for previous posts regarding citations I found post #9 in this thread. (Peter Goodey is extremely knowledgeable about this sort of thing - and most other things, too. )
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...light=citation

In another post of his Peter gave a link to a research guide issued by The National Archives about gallantry awards.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...lantry-medals/
    Note the second sentence in 2.1.
    "This public announcement is often the only record that survives of an award."
    Hence a local newspaper (or possibly a national one if the person was famous enough) being the most likely place to discover the reason for the citation. e.g. local boy awarded medal for rescuing three people from burning building.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

It is often worth a dig into the 'reccomendations for awards' at Kew, they can be very tricky to find however.