Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Peter for your interest. I did, sometime ago, order the birth cert you mentioned but like you dismissed it as not the one I am looking for! Never considered she may not be using birth name - heck that throws up another can of worms!
    Janet thank you for your input - my Mother's birth cert states she was born on 20 April 1918 22 Annie Road Bootle Lancs. I know they moved to Wallasey at some point and my grandmother died there. My mother always maintained that her mother said she was born on 1st May( this is recorded in 1939 census) but didn't really know the year and due to vagueness on 1939 census feel fairly certain this is her. My mother started her nurse training with Red Cross and was not living with her mother in 1939 and due to 100 yr rule on 1939 census can't find exact location at the moment. She went on to reside at Coventry and Warks hospital completing SR nurse training in 1944.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by j nutt View Post
    My mother started her nurse training with Red Cross and was not living with her mother in 1939 and due to 100 yr rule on 1939 census can't find exact location at the moment. She went on to reside at Coventry and Warks hospital completing SR nurse training in 1944.
    If your mother is now deceased then you can get her record opened by sending a copy of her death certificate to Findmypast. Scroll to the bottom of the page.https://www.
    findmypast.co.uk/1939register/1939-register-getting-started

If she is still living then you'll both have to wait a little while longer. No harm in emailing FMP soon after the date though and asking for it to be opened asap.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for that info. I had thought about doing that. I suddenly had an inspiration last night and decided to look up details of a boyfriend she had in Birmingham. I found out that he was living on the same street as Selly Oak nurses home so I presume she was there. That record of nurses is closed but I am pretty sure that was where she was living in 1939.
    Still doesn't get me any nearer to finding my Grandmother's birth cert but going on various wild goose chases kept me busy for hours!
    Thanks
    Jessica

janbooth

I think most of us know that feeling, Jessica!! Trouble is we don't have a lot of information to go on. I did try to look at Annie Road in the 1911 census records but have not had a lot of luck so far in finding any likely STEPHENS's living there and it is a bit of a long shot anyway.

I have found an entry which may well relate to your mother on the UK Nursing Register via Ancestry which states that Jessie STEPHENS of 11 Malpas Grove, Wallasey, was registered on 24 November 1944 at London, qualified by examination at the Coventry & Warwickshire Hospital 1940-43. Not that this helps us find your grandmother's birth in any way. Looking at Street Maps of Wallasey, Malpas Grove is pretty close to Oarside Drive which is where your Elizabeth STEPHENS was living in the 1939 Register. So going on the premise that Elizabeth is more likely to have been born 1 May 1893, the day and month have been ticked on the 1939 and just the year of birth altered, we are looking for an Elizabeth STEPHENS born c1893. Looking on the GRO Index for any Elizabeth STEPHENS whose birth was registered in the June qtr 1893-1897 does not bring up any registered in Liverpool - there are only 7 in all, 2 of whom are registered in Lancashire, one in 1894 in Ormskirk whose death is also registered in the June qtr 1894 and the other in 1895 in Chorlton. There is a baptism at Chorlton on 26 June 1895 for an Elizabeth daughter of William & Amy STEPHENS but her baptismal record shows her to have been born on 7 June 1895. So back to square 1 again!

Janet

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by j nutt View Post
    Anyone know what RAA means?
    Another crumb of info!

RAA denotes the County Borough of Derby.

Findmypast have an explanation and an alphabetical list of the three-letter codes https://www.findmypast.co.uk/article...FaukUQodv2QE4A

Peter

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Jan for encouraging words! I will continue the search but maybe go for a few wild cards. I am beginning to think that neither my mother or hers really knew my grandmother's true birth date!
    Peter - thank you for explanation of RAA and useful links to abbreviations
    Jessica

marj

Hi

on the 1891 census living with the Passey family in Hale Street Liverpool

Ann Stephens 50 Charwoman b. Liverpool
    Elizabeth Stephens 31 Charwoman b. Liverpool (mother of Elizabeth b. 1892 ?)

Did she fail to register her birth and had her baptised later ?

Baptism: 5 Jun 1896 St Catherine Abercromby Square, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
    Elizabeth Stevens - [Child] of [unnamed] Stevens
    Abode: 15 Vine Street
    Notes: Widow. Conditional. Born July 1858 or 59
    Baptised by: Edward Bate
    Register: Baptisms 1862 - 1927, Page 254, Entry -
    Source: LDS Film 1655552

found this family on familysearch.

1861 census Lower Myrtle street Liverpool

John Stephens 21 gas fitter b. Liverpool
    Ann wife 20 b. Liverpool
    Elizabeth dtr 0 b. Liverpool (mmn Langan)
    Julia Langan mother in law 44 b. Ireland
    Catherine Hopton Aunt 50 b. Ireland

Same family in 1871 Liverpool

John Stephens 28 Plumber b. Liverpool
    Mary A wife 27 b. Runcorn
    Elizabeth dtr 8 b. Liverpool
    John son 5 b. Liverpool (mmn Langan)
    Catherine Adams boarder 25 b. Ireland

Not been able to find the family in 1881 census

Hope this helps

Marj

Name well known on Brit-Gen

There is this 1911 entry

RG14; Piece: 22586

39 Irvine Street Liverpool
    Charles Matthew Lee 77
    Julia Ahern 56
    Elizabeth Stephens 19 Single Housemaid Liverpool

RG13; Piece: 3423; Folio: 185; Page: 23
    48 Clare Street
    Elizabeth Stephens 38 widow Charwoman Liverpool
    Elizabeth Stephens 9

I haven't investigated further but look at this one, Irish / Liverpool etc

RG12; Piece: 2889; Folio: 4; Page: 1;
    78 Old Chester Road Tranmere, Cheshire
    Samuel Stephens 35 Lab in dockyard Devonport
    Elizabeth Stephens 27 Cleaner of office Carlow Ireland

cheshirebmd.org.uk
    1886 Civil Marriage or Registrar Attended Birkenhead, Samuel Stephens married Elizabeth Doyle

janbooth

I wonder if what Jean has found for you in the above post is relevant to your search. Looking on the GRO Index for STEPHENS birth registrations with mother's maiden name of DOYLE brings up the following:

Jessie Maud STEPHENS December qtr 1892 at Birkenhead reg district

Given that your mother was named Jessie, perhaps there is a connection somewhere. I cannot find the registration of an Elizabeth STEPHENS, mother's maiden name DOYLE, but there are two DOYLE possibilities, mother's maiden name DOYLE, Eliza DOYLE March qtr 1886 at Liverpool and Elizabeth DOYLE December qtr 1886 at West Derby but neither fit with a birthdate of 1 May. Jessie Maud STEPHENS was baptised at Tranmere St Luke on 24 September 1892, parents Samuel & Elizabeth STEPHENS. But Samuel's wife Elizabeth STEPHENS' death was registered December qtr 1897 at Birkenhead, aged 32, so I think it likely that we can rule out this couple as being your grandmother's parents as I can find no daughter Elizabeth living with him in the 1901 census.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I will look into all this in detail.Thank you for all this info.Certainly the Irish connection is interesting. my DNA came out as 45% Irish and I have no other Irish connection on my father's side so really came out of the blue for me but I hope it's not a red herring!
    Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast