Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default searching for birth cert

I have been trying in vain to find my grandmother's birth cert. I have her death cert . Her name was Elizabeth Stephens and she died 14 Jan 1951 in Wallasey. On the 1939 census her date of birth is written as 1 May ? 93 RAA or 96 which has been crossed out!Anyone know what RAA means? She gave birth to my mother Jessie Stephens on 20 April 1918(illegitimate) in Bootle. I have even searched Irish records as my DNA showed a large percentage of Irish blood! Is it possible that some people just can't be found? I hope not.
    Hope someone can help.

Jessica

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Jessica.
    If she was born around 1893-1896, it should be possible to find her in the 1901 or 1911 census... Was Stephens her maiden name? Did she never marry? Did she have a job?
    Since the name is not rare, the more miscellaneous bits of information, the better...

Hello Jessica, do you know who the lady living with your grandmother in 1939 is? I'm wondering if it's her mother.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you so much for both your replies. I may have found her on 1901 census living with a widowed mother(charwoman) and on 1911 census working as a housemaid but still unable to find her birth cert. Her maiden name is Stephens and she never married. She worked in domestic service so I know it is rather like looking for a needle in a haystack!
    I don't think the woman living with her in 1939 is her mother because I think her daughter(my mother) would have known if her grandmother was still alive as she said she never met her.But that would certainly have beeen possible given dates etc
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and your help.

Famous for offering help & advice

the GRO index entry for the Elizabeth Stephens who died in Wallasey in 1951 says she was 59 years old, suggesting an 1892 birth - is that not correct ? what age is on the death certificate ?

thinking along the lines of a North-West birth with possible Irish connections, an Elizabeth Stephens was born 1892 in Salford with mother's maiden name MOLONY

where do those 1901 & 1911 censuses say she was born ?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

On her death cert it simply says age 59 so yes her year of birth would be 1892. Maybe my mother made a guess at her age when she registered the death and on 1939 census she doesn't seem to know hence two different dates and question mark!
    On 1901 and 1911 census says she was born in Liverpool if that is indeed her so I will investigate the Salford link too as am willing to try anything - thanks. I wish it wasn't such a common name!

Knowledgeable and helpful

As Elizabeth died on 14th January 1951 and assuming her age at death (59) is correct, she is quite likely to have been born in 1891.

There is a possible candidate on the GRO Index:

Elizabeth STEPHENS b. Liverpool 1891, Q3 Vol 08B Page 130, mmn BEVINGTON

I haven't checked for a STEPHENS/BEVINGTON marriage and have to leave it for now. Dinner calls!

Peter

Knowledgeable and helpful

This is the only marriage I can find between a male Stephens/Stevens and a female Bevington:

William Edgar STEPHENS m. Mary Elsie BEVINGTON 1899 St Giles, Newcastle under Lyme

He was a solicitor and town clerk who can be found with his family in Blackpool in 1901 and Great Yarmouth in 1911 and, on the face of it, unconnected to your Elizabeth.

Peter

Reputation beyond repute

Her maiden name is Stephens and she never married
    The name she used need not necessarily be her birth name.

janbooth

Can you tell us the details from your mother's birth certificate, for example what was the address where she was born, etc., and what information makes you think that the Elizabeth STEPHENS in the 1939 census of Wallasey is actually your grandmother, as your mother does not appear to be living with her (no redacted records in the household).

Janet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast