Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    lynnelay

Just revisited the 1861 census when the family are living living in the Everton district of Liverpool. She has said that those born in Birmingham, were born in Augley Birmingham. I've been trying to think what this might have been when a Birmingham accent was interpreted in Liverpool. At first I thought it was Hagley, but then perhaps Audley?? Does an Audley part of Birmingham exist? Is it close to Sun St?? Susannah says she was born there as well. This might help link her to her parents.

janbooth

Doing a Google search on Sun Street, Birmingham, brings up the fact that it was the old Ladywood Middleway and was to the west off Bristol Street just north of where the Middleway is now and opposite the part of St Luke's Road which is no longer there. Looking at an old map of Birmingham, Sun Street is off Spring Street to the east, Spring Street still being shown on modern street maps.

Revisiting the baptismal records for the children, Julia Clara HARVEY was born 24 February 1849, baptised 24 December 1849 at Birmingham St Philip daughter of Samuel & Susanna HARVEY, Cregoe Street, Weighing Machine Filer. Looking at a modern Street Map of Birmingham, Cregoe Street is in the same general area as Spring Street, further north but again to the west of Bristol Street. James Thomas was born at Sun Street as was Anna Maria, Samuel and Emily and all baptised at Birmingham St Philip.

Where did you find the fact that the children and Susanna say they were born at Sun Street? The 1851 and 61 census records just state Birmingham. I have looked through the Birmingham St Philip parish registers for CARTER children born 5 years either side of Susanna's supposed birth date and none of the parents were living at Sun Street. The Samuel CARTER who was a Gun Maker baptised his children at St Martin and he was living at Walmer Street. As far as I can tell, there is no Samuel CARTER who is a Smallware Dealer having children at Birmingham 5 years either side of 1818.

All negative once more I'm afraid.

Janet

lynnelay

Oh dear, why were they all called Samuel!!!
    The children of Samuel and Susannah , baptised between 1838 and 1847 at St Phillips , all had the address of Sun Street. (Louisa Betsey, James Thomas, Ann Maria, Samuel Cade, Emily, Catherine Alice.) After that as you say they moved to Cregoe St.

I think the Samuel (gun Maker) Might have changed his occupation before the 1841 census and moved to Lancaster St as a Gem polisher. The 2 children with him are the same name and age as baptised to Samuel in Walmer Lane.

janbooth

Audley looks to be in the Stechford area of Birmingham which I believe is in Edgbaston. There is also a Hagley Road which again looks to be in the Edgbaston area. If you do a Google street map search on both these places and also one for Spring Street, you will be able to compare where both places are within Birmingham. They are not a million miles apart!

Ancestry have a lot of parish register records for Edgbaston so you could perhaps look for an CARTER baptisms there - none come up just doing a transcription search for me but then so many of Ancestry's later transcriptions are not to be relied upon, so you may have to go through the parishes one by one on the original registers.

Janet

lynnelay

Thanks Jan, that's what I do when searching Liverpool. Just forgot because brain is in Birmingham. Will get back with any news.

janbooth

I think you may need a few cups of coffee to keep you going whilst trawling though the registers Lynne. There seem to be a good few of them!

Janet

lynnelay

The only church that had dates around 1815 in Edgebaston, was St Bartholomew. St Bartholomew has a lot of Harrisons and several people baptised as adults with D of Birth given. Did not find any Carters from start, 1813 to 1825. Will carry on though. If anyone would like me to look for anyone else while I an doing it, let me know.

lynnelay

Finished St Bartholomew's Edgbaston. Only 1 Carter
    Samuel Carter and Lucy his wife had a child George baptised on 21st April 1833. Samuel was a shoemaker. So no luck again. I searched up to her marriage year.

janbooth

I do still keep returning to the Susanna daughter of Benjamin CARTER baptised in Birmingham St Martin in 1819. I wonder if he were a Benjamin Samuel or a Samuel Benjamin or the incumbent just got it wrong. It seems very strange that I can find no trace of a Benjamin CARTER Glass Cutter or a Samuel CARTER Smallware dealer in census or burial records after Susanna's baptism especially as she obviously remained in the Birmingham area. I, like you, have tried to track all Samuel CARTERs in the surrounding area in the census records and have come up with nothing that seems likely. Looking at street maps of Birmingham, Hill Street, where Susanna daughter of Benjamin was living when baptised, is not that far away from Sun Street where your Susanna & Samuel were living when the majority of their children were baptised.

I wonder if Susanna's parents perhaps died before the 1841 census record. Perhaps another avenue to explore would be to look for any burials in the Birmingham churches after Susanna's birthdate - you can tell I am somewhat clutching at straws here, Lynne.

Janet

hi
    found this if you are still looking for Eliza
    Marriage: 11 Aug 1870 St Peter, Everton, Lancashire, England
    William Mitchell - 25, Mariner, Bachelor, 82 Opie Street
    Eliza Agnes Harvey - (X), 18, Spinster, 82 Opie Street
    Groom's Father: John Mitchell, Gardener
    Bride's Father: Samuel Harvey, Weighing Machine Maker
    Witness: George Oldfield; Sophia Webster, (X)
    Married by License by: Stephen Brain Sutton

Peanut

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast