A. Muse

Default Richard Middleton Duddell 1771-1854 'Surgeon'

I'm trying to find out more about my GGG Grandfather who is described as a surgeon in the 1841 census, living in Bures St Mary, Suffolk. His daughter Selina also describes him as a surgeon on her second marriage in 1868.
    Was there any central record of surgeons, or could a 'barber surgeon' style himself as a surgeon? It would seem that he occupied a house in the centre of the village (from the description page of the census), so might have been a person of note locally.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Be cautious in assuming the census entry is correct. My great great grandfather appears on his children's marriage certificates as a surgeon at least 5 times, and in census entries as well. In 1881 he is given as MD (North America). Further investigation shows he was a medical botanist, an occupation from America, possibly studied by correspondence. He practised in London for about 20 years before his death. Another descendant applied to the Royal College of Physicians for information and was given information on a man of the same name but several decades younger. Hopefully you will find your man to be more honest than mine. pwholt

Knowledgeable and helpful

Another tact. I googled his name and found some genealogy pages which gave 10 ancestors but no descendants for a man of this name. Worth having a look? pwholt

Reputation beyond repute

Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811:

Richd. M. Duddell was apprenticed in London to Geo. J. Coxhead, Member of the Surgeons Compy of London. Duty paid in 1786

janbooth

1839 Pigot's Directory lists Richard DUDDLE as a Surgeon in Bures.

Janet

Name well known on Brit-Gen

books google

The admission registers, ed. by R.B. Gardiner - Volume 1 - Page 239
    London St. Paul's sch, ‎Robert Barlow Gardiner - 1884 - ‎Snippet view - ‎More editions
    James Hawkings, aged 10, son of James H., clerk, Cross Street, Blackfriars. „ 30. John Duddell, aged 11, son of Richard Middleton D., apothecary, Bures, Suffolk. May 21. Henry Dannenberger, aged 13, son of Benedict D., book keeper, Tabernacle Walk. „ 23. George Wilson Prince, aged 14, son of William P. (deceased), Kenninghall. June 5. Erasmus Ollivant, aged 7, son of William O., Navy Office, Dyers Buildings, Holborn. Died young. William Solory Grey, aged 7, son of James G., ...

Obituary NB: year of death not as in header
    Essex Herald 04 November 1845

son of late Rev John Duddell Curate of Great Coggeshall

A. Muse

Default Thank you!

Thank you for your interest and help. My next step is to visit the Essex Record Office.
    Thank you for the correction to the date of death - an uncorrected typo on my part.. I do have the obit from the Essex Herald.

My first professional ancestor in 45 years of researching and son of a clergyman to boot! Also my first Essex ancestor, having lived in Essex for most of my life and been a member of the ESFH.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Thank you

Can you update us on your findings