Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Raglan Barracks 1876

Hi I am researching my family and have come upon a link that indicates my grandfather was born in Raglan Barracks circa 1876, he states in personal documents that his father was a sergeant in the Devonshire Regt,
    current information held,
    name, William Henry Rogers born Devenport, Raglan Barracks circa 1876 ( he was 36 years old in 1912)
    parents, William Rogers and Mary McLean,
    any assistance or direction would be greatly appreciated
    Regards,, John A Rogers.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    Using the GRO index which now gives the mother's maiden name I can't see any births for a William (with or without Henry as a middle name) with the mother's maiden name McLean/Maclean. Where did you find her maiden name?
    Do you have them in any census? If so could you give us the reference - piece number, folio and page. Do you have the names of any siblings to William Henry? Do you know his wife's name?
    Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to get a handle on this family
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

To Christina's questions, I would add
    Quote Originally Posted by jockrogers View Post
    Hi I am researching my family and have come upon a link that indicates my grandfather was born in Raglan Barracks circa 1876
    where is the link? (Name of site/dataset, etc.) Not all the information on the internet is accurate.
    current information held,
    name, William Henry Rogers born Devenport, Raglan Barracks circa 1876 ( he was 36 years old in 1912)
    What documentation do you have of proof of his age in 1912?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I hope the image is available, the only document I have is a copy of the general register of poor in Paisley from 1912, (the attached image) on that document he has stated that he was born, in Raglan Barracks, Devonport. and under Parentage he lists his father as William Rogers, and his mother as Mary Mclean, and that his father was a "Seargt in the Devonshire Regt" I have numerous other documents which list his parents as William Rogers and Mary McLean, I have never been able to find the family together in either census records in England nor Scotland, nor have I been able to find a birth certificate for William Henry Rogers born circa 1876, as you can see from the image he gives his age as 36 years on the document which is dated 1912. kindest regards John A Rogers

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Thank you for that, John.

According to John M Kitzmiller in his book 'In search of the Forlorn Hope' the North Devonshire Regiment were in Devonport in 1874-1875, and 1878. Found by looking under Devonport. It would have been much easier (IMO)for researchers for him to have done the listing the other way round, i.e. by regiment. I think he did do it but it's on fiche at Salt Lake City, so not easily accessible.

People do tend to list their birthplace as the first place they can remember living; which could be the case here, though equally could be true.

I'm currently minus my computer so have very limited resources, but have you considered looking under Rodgers for any records?
    And have you looked for a marriage for William's parents? (Using Rogers/Rodgers and McLean/MacLean.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

janbooth

I cannot find a William Henry ROGERS (or similar) or RODGERS (or similar) with mother's maiden name MACLEAN on the GRO Index for two years either side of 1876. There is however a William Henry ROGERS, mother's maiden name shown as ROGERS, whose birth is registered in the September qtr 1875 at Stoke Damerel reg district (which is the correct reg district for Devonport). FindmyPast do have the parish register images for St James Devonport for the relevant timespan but no baptism for William Henry ROGERS c1876 shows up using their search engine.

To add to the conundrum, there is a William Henry ROGERS, father William, born c1876 at Devonport, who shows up in the 1881 census of Kirkdale, Lancashire (RG11/3678, folio 78, page 30), but this William ROGERS is married to an Annie and is an Extra out door Officer for Customs and pensioner from the Royal Navy.

FindmyPast are showing a Scotland Marriages Transcription in 1871 in Perthshire of a Margaret McLEAN to a William ROGERS - perhaps worth further investigation on your part.

Was your William Henry ever in the Army during World War 1? FindmyPast has a Service record for a William Henry ROGERS of Paisley born c1875 - can't give you full details because of their terms and conditions but given that your William Henry was in Paisley in 1912, it could perhaps be relevant.

Janet

The 46th (South Devonshire) Regiment was stationed in Ireland in 1876. However I have seen several newspaper 1876 references to there being a 46th regimental depôt at Devonport eg

London Daily News, Tue 21 Nov 1876
    "Plymouth Monday Night
    The Assistance, troopship, Captain Prattent, arrived in the Sound this afternoon from Queenstown, and after disembarking a detachment of the 46th Regiment for the depôt here ..."

In October/November 1876 the 46th embarked for Bermuda but spotted this in the Cornish Times, 6 Jan 1877
    "A soldier named William Millman was brought up on a charge of deserting from the 46th Regiment of Foot at Raglan Barracks, Devonport - remanded 3 days"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

A column, "Stations of the British Army", published in a wide range of newspapers, by 8 December 1876 is showing 2 locations against the 46th "Bermuda; Devonport" and the item explains "Where two places are mentioned the last named is that to which the depôt is stationed"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    I cannot find a William Henry ROGERS (or similar) or RODGERS (or similar) with mother's maiden name MACLEAN on the GRO Index for two years either side of 1876. There is however a William Henry ROGERS, mother's maiden name shown as ROGERS, whose birth is registered in the September qtr 1875 at Stoke Damerel reg district (which is the correct reg district for Devonport). FindmyPast do have the parish register images for St James Devonport for the relevant timespan but no baptism for William Henry ROGERS c1876 shows up using their search engine.

To add to the conundrum, there is a William Henry ROGERS, father William, born c1876 at Devonport, who shows up in the 1881 census of Kirkdale, Lancashire (RG11/3678, folio 78, page 30), but this William ROGERS is married to an Annie and is an Extra out door Officer for Customs and pensioner from the Royal Navy.

FindmyPast are showing a Scotland Marriages Transcription in 1871 in Perthshire of a Margaret McLEAN to a William ROGERS - perhaps worth further investigation on your part.

Was your William Henry ever in the Army during World War 1? FindmyPast has a Service record for a William Henry ROGERS of Paisley born c1875 - can't give you full details because of their terms and conditions but given that your William Henry was in Paisley in 1912, it could perhaps be relevant.

Janet
    Thankyou Janet, I will chase up the Scottish records, and yes the William Henry you mentioned in Paisley is my Grandfather, and yes he served in WW1, I have his service record, however I have no record of date of birth for him, until last week I didn't know where he was born, he appeared in Paisley in 1911/12 as far as I can tell/assume, and he married my grandmother in 1914 went to WW1 in 1915 returned in 1919, and passed away 1926, managing to father 9 children in the process, It would have been so easy if at least one document listed his date of birth as there are numerous listing for William Rogers and Mary Rogers, indeed my own parents were William Henry and Mary Rogers, I thank you and will continue my labours,,,, regards John Rogers

janbooth

John,

Have you looked at the actual marriage record for your William Henry (available to view on Scotland's People website) because the name and occupation of his father shown on that record is different to the information you have given in your first post. Can't give you full details because it is a pay per view website. However, using that information, I am still having no success in finding a marriage for your William Henry's parents.

Have you considered that William Henry may have been illegitimate and that the birth registration I found in the September qtr 1875 at Stoke Damerel, mother's maiden name ROGERS, may indeed be the correct registration. Just a thought.

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast