Thread: Wills on gov.uk

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Default Wills on gov.uk

Please excuse me if I am way behind knowing this and every one else is aware but for those that are not the Wills are searchable and orderable on

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

It is a great service and there are images of the probates.

I had not seen it before.

MrsP

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Thanks MrsP, that one's new to me too.

I've had good successes here - https://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php - which is regional, but suits my location. Successful searches lead to actual copies of the wills.

Cheers, MTS

I don't understand why the search on the first heading gave me two people but the search on the second heading gave me the page - like the index page. In some years the first heading gave me no hits while the second heading gave me the page and there were names on it that I was asking for.
    Sorry not to explain it better
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Famous for offering help & advice

I seem to have known about that website for a long time, though it has only recently occured to me actually order a will. What I've only just noticed is that for 'Wills 1996 to present' and 'Soldier's Wills' you get an advanced search whereas for 'Wills 1858-1996' you only get a basic search. Not quite sure why there should be a difference.

Ladkyis, I am sorry I don't understand what you mean.

It does say the site is BETA and they are asking for feedback so it will probably evolve as they see how people use it.

Mrs P

Reputation beyond repute

What I've only just noticed is that for 'Wills 1996 to present' and 'Soldier's Wills' you get an advanced search whereas for 'Wills 1858-1996' you only get a basic search. Not quite sure why there should be a difference.
    Because the system changed. When the probate search room was in operation, you had to look in the heavy books for cases up to 1992, on fiche (1993-1995) or on computer (1996 onwards).

Famous for offering help & advice

apparently as of 22 July the cost of ordering a will has been reduced from £10 to £1.50.

There must have been a surge when the Wills went down to £1.50 as I have been waiting since the beginning of August for three Wills. E-mails have said they have a backlog which they are trying to clear.

Just in case anyone is thinking of ordering a Will it is a bit of a wait at the moment.

Mrs P