janeygee

Smile Alfred Henry Kinchin sp Edith Kate McLaughlin

I am researching this Kinchin Family and will start with the eldest son as apart from finding his marriage to Edith I can not find them any place else I would like to know of their children if anyone can
    point me in the right direction I would appreciate it very much

Alfred Henry Kinchin married Edith Kathleen McLaughlin 23 March 1919 Emmanuel Church,Paddington London
    Alfred Henry born 11June 1893 Paddington, and served in WW1,,he died in 1947 age 53 Paddington London

Edith Kathleen McLaughlin born 1894 Belfast, N Ireland she died 1961 Kensington London age 67

This is all I have found so far and I,m not even sure I have the correct info so any help or ideas would be a bonus,thank you

Kind regards

Janey

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Marriage details (from Ancestry's London marriages) almost correct. Edith is listed as Edith Kate, not Edith Kathleen.
    Additional details: Alfred was 25, a chauffeur, and his father was also Alfred, occupation porter.
    Edith was 22, her father was Edmund, occupation painter.

No children found for Alfred and Edith.

They are on the 1939 register (available only on FMP) but FMP have made a rather massive error in transcribing the entry so search for Edith Kinchin, living in Paddington, and then look at the image. (I'll report the transcription error to FMP.) That will give you their birthdates.

Searching the GRO Historical Births and Deaths Index
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    I found Alfred Henry Kinchin, birth registration June quarter 1893 Paddington registration district. Mother's maiden name Davies.

Alfred, aged 7, is living in Paddington in 1901 with father Alfred, aged 28, railway porter (agrees with with details on Alfred junior's marriage certificate), mother Mill (sic), three younger siblings and his paternal grandparents. RG13/2 page 110 folio 13

Can't currently find them in the 1911 census.

This would appear to be the marriage of Alfred junior's parents - Alfred Hugh Kinchin and Alice Marian Davies registered December quarter 1892 Paddington registration district. Marriage certificate from the parish register available on Ancestry's London marriages.
    (The name Alice would account for the 'Mill' in the 1901 census - the enumerator misread Alice. )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

janeygee

Thank you so much for this correct info Pam I wll try to find them and hope also to find some children born I have had an enquirer
    from a cousin in NZ who is also a Kinchin and trying to build the family tree hoping to find other cousins in England keep up the good work at BG

Kind regards
    Janey

Quote Originally Posted by janeygee View Post
    I am researching this Kinchin Family and will start with the eldest son as apart from finding his marriage to Edith I can not find them any place else I would like to know of their children if anyone can
    point me in the right direction I would appreciate it very much

Alfred Henry Kinchin married Edith Kathleen McLaughlin 23 March 1919 Emmanuel Church,Paddington London
    Alfred Henry born 11June 1893 Paddington, and served in WW1,,he died in 1947 age 53 Paddington London
    Did you get the date from Ancestry's London Baptisms? Birth and baptism are not the same.
    Alfred's birth date is given in the margin to the left of his baptism date in that image.

Though it differs by a year from the date given on one of the pages of his service record on FMP. If you've looked at the same record as I have, then it talks about him having a dodgy eye. Father and mother's names match up with those on the census and Alfred's baptism record.

Edith Kathleen McLaughlin born 1894 Belfast, N Ireland she died 1961 Kensington London age 67

This is all I have found so far and I,m not even sure I have the correct info so any help or ideas would be a bonus,thank you

Kind regards

Janey
    There probably was an Edith Kathleen McLaughlin born in Belfast in 1894, but I reckon you should be looking at the Edith Kate McLaughlin in 1911, whose father said she was born in Marylebone.
    Father is Edmund, decorator and builder - which is near enough the painter given on Edith's marriage certificate. 1911 census reference RG14 PN561 SN356

Edmund and Mary says they have been married for 39 years. Indications are that the marriage is indexed in the GRO Index as Edward McLaughlin and Mary Steel, though if you look at the PR on Ancestry's London marriages on 10 Sep 1871 (Christ Church, St Marylebone), it looks as if the vicar wrote a dodgy Edward/Edmund, but the groom actually signed Edmund. He also says he's a painter, which would fit other records found.

1891 census RG12/102 page 11 folio 9

Going further back - 1851 census for Edmund HO107/1467 page 555 folio 61
    Birth registration September quarter 1849 Kensington registration district. Mother's maiden name Fulker.

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by janeygee View Post
    Thank you so much for this correct info Pam I wll try to find them and hope also to find some children born I have had an enquirer
    from a cousin in NZ who is also a Kinchin and trying to build the family tree hoping to find other cousins in England keep up the good work at BG

Kind regards
    Janey
    As I said in my previous post, it would seem as if Alfred and Edith didn't have any children. There are no births with a Kinchin(+variants) father and McLaughlin (+variants) mother in the GRO Index 1917-1957.

Pam

janeygee

Thumbs up Kinchin Rellies

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    As I said in my previous post, it would seem as if Alfred and Edith didn't have any children. There are no births with a Kinchin(+variants) father and McLaughlin (+variants) mother in the GRO Index 1917-1957.

Pam
    HI PAM
    Bunch of thanks for all this great info,it sure helps to clear up some of the cobwebs.I have been going around in circles,I got the first record from Ancestry and then all these other hits from other sites that is why I thought I had the wrong Edith K so I am now on a better track with your info and I will no longer be looking
    for children when it seems they had none.This is a big Kinchin family of 8-9 siblings which needs research.
    so I will get on with it. Thanks again,cheers

Kind regards
    Janey
    (ps,I don't believe you're anywhere near bonkers as a reasercher