Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by John Patten
    I'm compil;ing a collage of my fathers naval history...........
    Is it possible for me to obtain a photograph of HMS Victory 1 barracks
    If there are no photos on the web, I suggest trying either the National Maritime Museum as mentioned, or the RN museum at Portsmouth.

Geoffers

MaryO

Default Victory II 1914-1918

Greetings, all.

I have obtained a copy of what I think is my grandfather's Royal Navy record. He is listed as having served aboard the Victory II at several different times during World War I. I don't understand many of the abbreviations, and can't make out whether he was a scoundrel or a well-behaved sailor. ;-)

There are entries under "If discharged, whither and for what cause" such as "1 day, C. P."; "6 days, C.P."; and "8 ds Cells".

If anyone could tell me what these mean, I would be very grateful.

Best regards,

Mary O'Shaughnessy

Ron Munro

Default HMS Victory ll

Hi all. As a newcomer, I hope this makes sense and is of help to you. Reading the messages about HMS Victory ll, it would seem that she was a Shore-based Training Establishment. My father's service record shows that he too was a stoker and between spells on various sea-going ships (1910-1922) he returned for short periods to Victory ll. He may have known some of your ancestors, as he served on Renown (Nov 1910-Feb1911); Skirmisher (Mar1911-Oct1911); Weymouth(Nov1911-June1913); Seahorse(Apr1914-May1914); Mastiff(Jan1915-Mar1917); Attentive(Mar1917-May1918); Adamant(Nov1918-Nov1919); Osborne(Dec1919-Apr1921). His final posting was on Victory ll from Apr 1921-Oct 1922. In the comments column of his record against this entry is 'Shore T/E' Below that 'Joined RFR 02 May 1923'
    Interesting to learn that Victory ll might have been based at Crystal Palace, and that all your ancestors were stokers. Didn't the Crystal Palace burn down in 1936?
    Last edited by Ron Munro; 22-08-2006 at 8:45 PM. Reason: mis-spelling.

Ron Munro

CP = confined to port
    8 ds= 8 days
    Cells= in clink...

Default More Victory II and III

Hi,

My Grand Father was also in the Navy, His Name, John Oswald Galloway. His service records show Victory II still in operation in 1928.

I have his service records.
    Victory 1913 - 14
    Birmingham 1914 - 1915
    Victory II -1915 - 16
    Royal Sovereign 1916 -1921

In 1921
    Courageous
    Victory III
    Victory II
    Courageous

In 1922
    Victory II
    Calcutta

In 1923
    Victory II
    Vernon?? difficult to read this entry

Waymouth
    Victory II

Rapid?? and Skate?? also difficult to read
    Victory II

Firgard ?
    Victiry II
    Lupin

Finally left in 1928, last posting being Victory II. His record shows he did time for being Drunk, 10 days Cells. The family story is, Ossie was always one for a few Ales, well at least his service record shows this.

Rgds
    Mike

vickimattin

Default Where do I start?

I've been trying to trace someone who went into the Navy/Merchant Navy. All I have is his full name, date of birth,date of death.I have a photo of him in his uniform, which I think says "HMS VICTORY" which is probably the barracks he was in. He was a stoker, and his daughter's birth was registered in Portsmouth.(1931) There are no records of the birth or a marriage for him.Also, the mothers name was missing so it makes it harder to find a marriage certificate.
    His details are as followed if anyone can help:
    PERCY JAMES GREGORY MOURANT
    BORN 14TH MAY 1905, ST MARTINS,JERSEY
    MARRIED IN CHICHESTER 1937
    DIED 1976,HAMPSHIRE
    Where do I start to finding his service history.
    Many thanks to anyone who can help

Vicki

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by vickimattin View Post
    There are no records of the birth or a marriage for him.His details are as followed if anyone can help:
    PERCY JAMES GREGORY MOURANT
    MARRIED IN CHICHESTER 1937
    The GRO index has his marriage:

March Quarter 1937
    MOURANT, Percy J G
    married to SHOEBRIDGE
    Chichester RD, Vol 2b Page 798

You can order a copy of this certificate direct from the GRO

TNA's catalogue has records relating to Merchant Seamen from BT372 index on its catalogue.
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...ue/default.asp
    Try entering 'MOURANT' in the word or phrase field and in the department or seires code, enter BT372

TNA's research guides give help on where to look for particular records
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...uidesindex.asp
    scroll down to 'M' and look under 'Merchant Seamen' or 'R' and look under Royal Navy.

For RN service records try
    https://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.00h007001

Geoffers

Ray Lee

Default HMS Victory

My wifes father was a stoker in the merchant navy and I have seen a photo of him with a HMS Victory Cap on, he looks around 19 this would have been in 1917, 1918, how do I find out if he served on the Victory - looking at the threads Victory was a shore based entity.
    Any ideas of where I need to look for more information. By the way his name was Fred Chester

Masha

I have just discovered my Grandfather's record for Crystal Palace - shore based Victory. I checked the PRO site and there are 3 entries for Fred Chester. One was born in 1898, so if your photo was taken around 1917, he would be 19. Where was he born?
    If you go to the PRO site you can click on the Naval Service Records link and it will allow you to type in information re names etc. You can download the document for £3.50
    Good luck
    Masha

Ray Lee

Default HMS Victory

Hi Masha
    Went to PRO site clicked on a number of items but cannot find the right one to put in the names it just says no records - what is the correct link to enter
    By the way was a stoker in the merchant navy as well, he started out as a fireman, he was born 1896 but I think he lied about his age

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast