Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Gambrill
    I've just come across this thread .... very interesting, as I have studio photo of my grandfather in his naval uniform (Able Seaman, WW1). I'm guessing it was taken in 1914.
    The headband reads "HMS Victory", not Victory II.
    What should I make of that?
    HMS Victory was Nelson's flagship at Trafalgar. In 1914 she was still afloat in Portsmouth harbour (she's now in permanent dry dock). I believe that those in barracks and at the dockyard at Portsmouth were also nominally posted to Victory. My guess is that he was actually at one of the latter.

Geoffers

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    It may be something you've considered already, but the National Maritime Museum has a very helpful reprographic department with a large collection of photos - there's a an online catalogue to their holdings. Copies aren't cheap, but having a photo of a ship on which an ancestor served gives a nice feeling.

Geoffers
    Thanks Geoffers, Helpful as ever. I had thought about the NMM pictures, but like a Sydney/Emden replica medal I've seen, I'll have to wait for ERNIE to come up big time.

Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Gambrill

HMS Victory was Nelson's flagship at Trafalgar. In 1914 she was still afloat in Portsmouth harbour (she's now in permanent dry dock). I believe that those in barracks and at the dockyard at Portsmouth were also nominally posted to Victory. My guess is that he was actually at one of the latter.

Geoffers
    Thanks for the info.
    John

Shaun

Found this forum searching for information about HMS Victory II
    Just received a copy of my gr gr uncles Royal Navy service record and he was stationed there twice from...
    25 November 1894 - 25 June 1895 and 31 October 1896 - 28 January 1897.
    During these stays he was promoted from a stoker to Leading Stoker to Chief Stoker and so I would guess that the Victory II was a land based training ship.

Now I'll go look for some more info.

Nasherman

Hi all,
    I've just come across this forum while googling for VictoryII.
    My Grandfather, James William Brady, served on Victory II several times:-
    6 March 1910 - 25 April 1910,
    5 June 1913 - 23 August 1913,
    16 October 1914 - 25 July 1915,
    17 October 1916 - 27 October 1916 and finally
    1 April 1920 - 6 April 1920.
    As some previous posts have said that HMS Crystal Palace didn't exist before 1914 does anyone know where exactly my Grandfather was stationed during these periods.
    He went from Stoker II to Stoker I to Leading Stoker during his career.
    Any help with this would be much appreciated.
    Nasherman
    Last edited by Nasherman; 30-03-2006 at 7:14 PM. Reason: Accidently repeated part of post

MarkJ

Very interesting thread. I received some information about one of my own ancestors a few days ago which lists Victory ll as one of the places this person served. He too was a stoker.
    Only for a few days - 17 to 22 October, 1919. That seems to contradict the information from Terry earlier in the thread about Victory ll being "paid off" on 21.3.19
    Perhaps the establishment was being "run down" by that time?

Mark

martin1

Smile Hms Victory Ii

hi everyone

picked up on this thread while searching for various ships my great, grandfather was on during his time in the navy.
    his name was joah redverse peacock ( great isn't it)
    he served on h.m.s.powerful 1916 (training ship?)
    h.m.s.alsatian 1917 (dazzle camoflage ?)
    h.m.s.victory I 1918 (land based ?)
    h.m.s. blenheim 1919 (supply ship ?)
    h.m.s.victory I 1919
    h.m.s.victory II 1919 till 1923 when he left the navy having acheived rank of stoker I.
    cant find much information on these ships (if they were ships) and any help would be much appreciated.

cheers

doowmat

Talking Firequeen and Victort

I have a copy of my uncle Herbert Ernest WOODFORD's naval service record.
    Born 21 Dec. 1875 at Freshwater - Occupation: Butcher.
    He evidently signed up at Portsmouth as a stoker for 12 years starting 12 Oct. 1896.
    He served on various ships until 16 May 1904.
    The ships were Victory (II & III), Excellent, Duke of Wellington, Argonaut, Glory and Firequeen,in that order.
    Any information on any or all would be welcme.

He is shown as "Joined R. F. R. Portsmouth B.894 - 17 May 1904 Discharged R. F. R. 16 May '09. Time expired."
    What does the abbreviation stand for? - Was this some Naval Reserve - non-active? or a naval shore job perhaps?

Terry Reeves

Royal Fleet Reserve.

Terry Reeves

John Patten

Default HMS Victory !

It may be something you've considered already, but the National Maritime Museum has a very helpful reprographic department with a large collection of photos - there's a an online catalogue to their holdings. Copies aren't cheap, but having a photo of a ship on which an ancestor served gives a nice feeling.

Geoffers
    I'm compil;ing a collage of my fathers naval history...........
    Is it possible for me to obtain a photograph of HMS Victory 1 barracks as my father AB W ( Bill ) Patten was stationed at this base between on board ship commissions and was last stationed there in 1938. If this is possible perhaps you could forward an e-mail address so I can contact who ever direct.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast