Thumbs up Timothy Derrig = Annie Colyne?

Hi,

I am trying to find a possible marriage of Timothy Derrig to Annie Colyne, either in Ireland or England, although I have tried the English records and found nothing? It maybe they never married, but would like some guidance from those who are more experienced than me.

There was a son born in 1954, but registered in the March quarter of 1955 (still alive) so have not mentioned his name, and I believe sisters born to the same couple, both parents being deceased.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Many thanks,

Carol

Reputation beyond repute

You can use FreeBMD to get a list of the likely births.

There is a possible death of a Timothy Derrig in 1980 showing a date of birth of 1 Feb 1905. The birth certificate will show you the place of birth which may or may not be accurate.

I think you'll find the mother's maiden name was COYNE not COLYNE. This may not be the name she was using when she married (if indeed she did). The children's birth certificates may be more informative.

There's a few things you can do including buying certificates.

A Timothy and Annie Derrig were living in Hurley rd Lambeth in the Electoral Roll 1961.

I can't see a marriage for them on FreeBMD nor on irishgenealogy.ie but the marriage records only cover to 1940. See the their coverage of BMD,s here
    In the 1947 electoral rolls he is by himself in Foxley Gardens Purley eastern Surrey so that may narrow down a time range and country for a possible marriage
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

There was a son born in 1954, but registered in the March quarter of 1955
    You need to look more carefully at that one. The mother's maiden name is shown as DERRIG or COYNE and the child's name is indexed as both DERRIG and COYNE.

This usually means that the parents were not married.

janbooth

To add to what Christina has found via the Electoral Registers, Timothy and Annie DERRIG are at 14 Hurley Road, Lambeth in the 1955 Electoral Register.

There appear to be 5 COYNE/DERRIG children registered in Lambeth, the earliest being in 1950. There is a death registration at Lambeth reg district in November 2000 of an Annie Martina DERRIG, dob 7 July 1923, which could perhaps be relevant to you.

Janet

Knowledgeable and helpful

This may be a complete red herring, so forgive me if it is!

The 1939 Register has an Edward DERRICK who's name was changed to Timothy DERRIG. The amendment to the surname is in black ink, as is a reason for the change which is written in the margin. The amendment to the first name is in red ink with the letters IC in the margin.

He is one of an eight person household in Heywood, Lancashire, apparently unrelated to any of the others. He could be a lodger, as he is with other single men of a similar age and occupation. His birth year is 1914.

I couldn't find a birth for an Edward DERRICK in 1914 although there are five births between 1912 and 1916. I haven't searched Irish records.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    There is a death registration at Lambeth reg district in November 2000 of an Annie Martina DERRIG, dob 7 July 1923, which could perhaps be relevant to you.
    Janet
    There is this birth reg in Ireland which matches the above death registration. No middle initial M though.
    Annie Coyne
    Registered Sept 1/4 1923
    Registration district: Ballinrobe
    Born Ireland
    vol 4 page 41
    FHL Film Number 101229

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Could this be a relative?

Marriages Dec 1946
    Derrig Patrick Coyne Mary Surrey Mid.E. 5g 561

The 1939 Register has an Edward DERRICK who's name was changed to Timothy DERRIG. The amendment to the surname is in black ink, as is a reason for the change which is written in the margin. The amendment to the first name is in red ink with the letters IC in the margin.
    The dialogue reads Name changed on information from NRD As far as I can make out NRD = National Registration Day which I think was 29 September 1939.
    Checking Michael Joyce who is a gang leader, looks as if he came from Galway maybe an area Timothy Derrig was from as it is likely he was a gang member