toggle

Default Sophia Hull of Barrowby connection to London

I am looking for the connection between Sophia Hull 1848 - 16 September 1932 and a Hull family of London.
    The probate shows a solicitor and Tom Grove Hull. The Nottingham evening post of 23 November 1932 expands on this, under Grantham charities benefit, there is a list of bequests and says "probate of the will has been granted to Tom Grove Hull of 11, Clarence Terrace, Regent's Park, London....." and at the bottom "The residue of the property to the children of the late William Grove Hull, and of Tom Grove Hull".

Sophia was born in Newmarket Suffolk or Cambridgeshire (as shown on various censes) father Tom Grove or Tom George Hull of Newmarket.
    Tom Grove Hull of London father was Charles 1824 and Susan Ford. I have been unable to find Tom Grove Hull (circa 1819) of Newmarket, but "believe" he could be the brother of Charles, son of William Hull and Susan Grove. Again no connection to William Hull and Susan Grove except the names - the wife's surname often incorporated into the family name.

Toggle

Growing old Disgracefully

Tom Grove Hull Births. Dec 1/4 1858. Kensington Vil no 1a. Pagr no 80.
    MMN Ford

Marriage Charles Hull and Susan Ford Dec 1847 Lambeth

Is this your man

Sophia Hull. Births. Jun 1/4 1848. Grantham. Vol no 14. Page no 426.
    MMN Wilson.

Marriages Jun 1847
    Thomas Grove Hull Grantham 14 661
    Sophia Wilson Grantham 14 661

Have you got these marriage cert. as they will give you fathers name so you can go back a generation

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by toggle View Post
    Sophia was born in Newmarket Suffolk or Cambridgeshire (as shown on various censes) father Tom Grove or Tom George Hull of Newmarket.
    As far as I can see she is born Grantham, Lincolnshire on every census. It is her father Thomas who was born in Newmarket.

William and Thomas in this family are both Tailors and Thomas is the only child not born in Middlesex.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQVL-2Q6

The children on that census were baptised at St Clement Danes including Thomas Grove HULL and Emma on the same day in 1820. Charles is not with the family in 1841 but he was baptised in 1834 in a job lot with Martha, Eleanor (Ellen), Frances and Sarah. Their mother however was Sarah, not Susan. I think you are confusing Sarah GROVE with Susan FORD.

Marriage of William and Sarah in 1818:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NKGK-2MN

So it seems that Thomas Grove HULL and Charles were brothers, Thomas was the father of Sophia and Charles was the father of Tom Grove HULL and William Grove HULL.

janbooth

The parish register marriage image of Thomas Grove HULL & Sophia WILSON is available to view on FindmyPast, a pay per view site, so cannot give you full details because of their terms & conditions but it took place at Grantham.

Thomas Grove HULL was baptised in Westminster in 1820 as was a sister Emma - both parish register images available to view on FindmyPast.

Next generation back: William HULL married Sarah GROVE on 4 January 1818 at St Mary Abchurch by licence. Both signed as did the witnesses Henry HULL & James SMITH - parish register image available to view on Ancestry. This looks to be the same William HULL in the 1841 census of St Clement Danes (HO107/731/11, folio 42, page 3). Charles HULL married Susan FORD on 14 December 1847 at St Mark, Kennington and his father is shown as William HULL, Tailor - image available to view on Ancestry. Therefore the Thomas Grove HULL father of Sophia born c1848 at Grantham and the Charles HULL who married Susan FORD are brothers, both children of William HULL, Tailor, & Sarah GROVE. So far, so good.

Given the Newmarket connection and that the 1841 census record for William HULL shows that he was born c1792 and not in the county, there is a birth record (available to view on Ancestry) at Newmarket Independent Church for a William HULL son of William & Elizabeth HULL of St Mary's Newmarket born on 11 February 1792. However this record is followed by the birth of another William to the same parents on 7 June 1793. Yep, think I have just confirmed that the William HULL, father of Thomas Grove HULL who married Sophia WILSON, is the one baptised at Newmarket in 1793. 1871 census record of Charlton, London (RG10/774, folio 25, page 7) shows William HULL, aged 77, widower, retired Tailor, born Newmarket.

All the baptisms of the children of William & Elizabeth HULL at Newmarket Independent Church are available to view on Ancestry and they include a Charles HULL born 20 February 1797 and a Sophia HULL born 18 September 1790, names that figure in your family. Have fun!

Janet

Cross posted with Dundee!

You both beat me to it I just deleted whet I was attempting to write I had found the same information as you both.

toggle

Thank you everybody.