Famous for offering help & advice

Default Ancestry's cookies acceptance message

I guess this isn't really a computer problem but an Ancestry specific problem

Does anyone know how I can stop the notice about accepting cookies on Ancestry from constantly appearing at the top of every new page I go to ? I find this very annoying as the page keeps shifting position just as I am about to click on something. I don't know any other website where the cookies message keeps appearing like this.

Thank you

A fountain of knowledge

I wonder if this is something to do with your browsers own cookie handling settings?
    i.e. all I ever do is click on the 'X' and the cookies don't come back -for that session or as long as I'm logged in anyway.
    Perhaps your browser is blocking the cookies being set, and therefore every time anything is done or a page changed it resets and sets off the cookie authorisation prompt again?

It'll only get worse from May next year as the new regulations make it far more difficult to simply have a check box on cookies/privacy settings and consent for emails.

thanks - I guess it could be that (I'm not very computer literate) - as I say Ancestry is the only site where this happens to me. On other sites once I have clicked x to acknowledge I have read the message - that's that - no reappearance. I'm using Firefox. I shall explore the Firefox menu.

Reputation beyond repute

I'm using Firefox. I shall explore the Firefox menu.

Under "Preferences", check the "History" settings. "Remember History" is the default setting, I think. That's what I use and it suits my needs.

Growing old Disgracefully

I'm having the same problem even if you click the X on the page you are looking at next page it appears again. And its only Ancestry any other page click the X and it goes away been happening for a few weeks now. Not happened before they used to go away.

Thanks for the heads up about settings I'll get one of the kids to have a look.

I seem to have accidentally found the solution - at least in my case, I can't speak for anyone else. I had Adblocker enabled on Ancestry - by disabling Adblocker it seems to have stopped the cookies message.

Strange but true !

A fountain of knowledge

Ah, glad you found it, I think it was probably blocking the '1st party cookies' -the ones that track you through the site and trigger pop up help boxes and the like.
    Useful to know!

It doesn't happen in all browsers, but what my wife and I found for Firefox and Chrome is that the only way to prevent this message appearing is to allow third party cookies - ie remove all cookie restrictions when using the Ancestry site. We'd rather have the annoying banner than keep having to adjust cookie settings and remove the rubbish afterwards.

A fountain of knowledge

If you notice anything new and you have an Apple Mac it'll be down to their new Operating system 'high sierra' OS11.0.3 which actively blocks 3rd party cookies by default!

I think most users won't notice it but companies that use the information gathered to find out how you got to their site are hopping mad about it I can tell you!

i.e. they track whether you came from a paid advert or a google search or a link from another site and use this information to pay for those that are chargeable -it's a large part of googles revenue.