Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default John Hickey and Margreta Magrath

Looking for some direction on my brickwall.
    John Hickey and Margreta Magrath were married in St Patricks, Limerick City 15 Nov 1819. It is possible a son John or David was born 10 Sept 1820 and baptised St Patricks.

In 1856 a daughter Julia of John and Margaret comes to Aus on THE BEE. Records indicate John/Margaret were living at Campbelltown in NSW Australia. Her name was Julia Hickey and she lists her address as Tipperary, near Nenagh on her daughters birth certificate. Julia would have been born abt 1835.

I am unable to find any evidence of John/Margaret in Tipperary after 1820 and nothing in Australian records to date. Looking for some ideas on where to look in Irish records... thanks very much

In the New South Wales, Australia, Immigration Deposit Journals, 1853-1900 on ancestry there is an entry dated 16 November 1854 where a Catherine Magrath has deposited £15 toward the cost of passengers and £3 for the emigrants benefit before embarkation. Those she is sponsoring are Margaret Magrath age 18, Julia Hickey age 19 and Edmund Dunlay age 19.
    On Julia's passenger listing in 1856 she is still age 19 and a nursemaid from Castletown Co Tipperary. The writing in the image is terrible but the father's first name is definitely Thomas with J as a possible second initial and mother Margaret living at Campelltown. Julia is C of E and can neither read or write. Her relation in the colony is Catherine, sister, living at the time.
    Did she marry William Dolling in 1864 but died as Julia Dallen?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by lizrenshaw View Post
    Looking for some direction on my brickwall.
    In 1856 a daughter Julia of John and Margaret comes to Aus on THE BEE. Records indicate John/Margaret were living at Campbelltown in NSW Australia.
    On the immigration record I am seeing Julia HICKEY, aged 19, nursemaid, native of Castletown, Co. Tipperary, parents Thomas and Margaret both living at Campbelltown, religion - Church of England, cannot read or write, sister Catherine living at Ultimo.

I would guess that the 'both living at Campbelltown' is a mistake and should be 'both living at Castletown'.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Dolling and Dallen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    In the New South Wales, Australia, Immigration Deposit Journals, 1853-1900 on ancestry there is an entry dated 16 November 1854 where a Catherine Magrath has deposited £15 toward the cost of passengers and £3 for the emigrants benefit before embarkation. Those she is sponsoring are Margaret Magrath age 18, Julia Hickey age 19 and Edmund Dunlay age 19.
    On Julia's passenger listing in 1856 she is still age 19 and a nursemaid from Castletown Co Tipperary. The writing in the image is terrible but the father's first name is definitely Thomas with J as a possible second initial and mother Margaret living at Campelltown. Julia is C of E and can neither read or write. Her relation in the colony is Catherine, sister, living at the time.
    Did she marry William Dolling in 1864 but died as Julia Dallen?
    Christina
    Thanks for this information. It is very good to get another set of eyes looking at these brickwalls as something often 'falls out'. I had been looking just for JOHN and will now expand search to Thomas Also yes, Julia does marry William Dolling... The name Dolling has numerous spelling over time. Dallen, Dalleen , Dolleen, and others.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for these thoughts. I had not considered Campbelltown as a mistake for Castletown... But it could account for some of my brickwalls. Having other eyes and thoughts is so helpful.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

A bit more info

against the entry for Edmund ( also shown as Edward ) DUNLAY is written sponsor Catherine Magrath Aunt, his parents Darby??/Edmund & Cathes Dunlay

Margaret Magrath's parents John & Bridget Magrath entry suggests that Catherine is already living in the 'Colony'

Julia Hickey parents Thomas & Margaret sponsor sister Catherine

This suggests to me that these were cousins! So looking at a bigger picture and tree maybe helpful

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Red face Thanks - for ideas

Yes, I think family trees could provide a wider context at this stage. You help is most appreciated. Any ideas on leads into the Irish records for these 3 cousins.? :-) thanks again.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Looking at Griffith Valuation for 1850 ?

Looking at Lackmore Castletown Tipperary and find a lessee is listed as Patrick Seymour ( Darby) and another listed as M Seymour (Condon). Can someone help with what the words in brackets could mean??

Could the names in brackets be the persons they are leasing the properties from?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi
    found at St Patrick Limerick
    6 September 1820
    Jn ix David Hickey and Mar' Magrath
    I think it says Margaret the name has been shortened with what looks like a t above it

Peanut