Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Royal Engineers 86th Chemical Warfare Company

My Grandfather was captured on the 21st February 1943 in Tunisia. I'm looking for any details of his capture, the unit and colleges. I have various names from his POW diaries which I'm just starting to transcribe.

Any help welcome.

Many thanks

David

David, welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    I think you'd make things easier if you told us his name, at least. Rank and number would also help.

Reputation beyond repute

Have you read this?

LOL

Roger Collinson - Sapper - 2127902

Roger Collinson – 2127902 – Sapper - Royal Engineers – 86th Chemical Warfare Company

W S Ford (Bill) – 2130902 – Sapper - Royal Engineers – 86th Chemical Warfare Company

G W Emptage (Jerry) – 1877060 – Sapper - Royal Engineers - 86th Chemical Warfare Company

C Beazeley – 2128441 – Driver - Royal Engineers

Harold Beamish – 2129767 – Lance Corporal – Royal Engineers

George Bellis – 2127898 - Sapper - Royal Engineers – 86th Chemical Warfare Company

Bill Shrzaker

Jack Frost –

Bob Reasmer or Reasoner– Ohio - USA

Cliff Parry

POW List

Roger Collinson – 2127902 – Sapper - Royal Engineers – 86th Chemical Warfare Company

W S Ford (Bill) – 2130902 – Sapper - Royal Engineers – 86th Chemical Warfare Company

G W Emptage (Jerry) – 1877060 – Sapper - Royal Engineers - 86th Chemical Warfare Company

C Beazeley – 2128441 – Driver - Royal Engineers - 86th Chemical Warfare Company

Harold Beamish – 2129767 – Lance Corporal – Royal Engineers - 86th Chemical Warfare Company

George Bellis – 2127898 - Sapper - Royal Engineers – 86th Chemical Warfare Company

Bill Shrzaker

Jack Frost –

Bob Reasmer or Reasoner– Ohio - USA

Cliff Parry

E W Bickle – 2114819 - War Substantive Corporal – Royal Engineers - 86th Chemical Warfare Company

J Houghton – 2119609 – Corporal – Royal Engineers - 86th Chemical Warfare Company

K F Manning – 2118019 – Sapper - Royal Engineers - 86th Chemical Warfare Company

E R Soutar – 7595493 – Corporal – Royal Army Ordnance corps

A fountain of knowledge

He must've been moved around a bit since some of those men were in very disparate camps according to FWR's listings of POWs?

HI I'm going through my grandfathers war diaries and these names are in it. just started again after many a year and only touched the surface.
    I did this https://www.tiredboots.co.uk/Roger%20Collinson.html oh years ago but have just started to transcribe his copy of his diaries as they are in the imperial war museum. Looks as if he was captured with most of the lads.

A fountain of knowledge

I really enjoyed the war diary!
    Terrific background stuff for the Italian camps which are an especial interest of mine.

I've heard that escapes until the armistice were exceptionally rare from Italian camps since (different than most German camps) the guards were professional military police (Carabinieri) and so well used to Prisoners and keeping them and also anyone escaping would not just have to have impeccable Italian language skills but would expect to get quizzed by any locals about where did you get that item of clothing etc and their accent or lack of local dialect, so they'd be lucky to last a day out of any camp!

I am to carry out some more research in earnest once we retire to la Bella Italia, my wife is fluent, mine is polite yet poor, but I have 15 years to learn!

Hi
    The web link only gives a brief outline of what he wrote. I did it years ago but I've just got a copy of his dairy for my mum the 3 originals are with the IWM. The copy I've go was hand written by him in 1979. He did try and get it published without success. It will take me some time as its difficult to read and very interesting. I do investigate new names as they come up many from the 86th but there is information on this company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast