Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Burning Effigies

Were there any other traditions of BURNING EFFIGIES in the UK during this period? In particular I am looking for an explanation of two 19th century diary entries (the diarist was a prominent member of the local BAPTISTchurch, in case that has any bearing). These say:

"Feb 19th (1847) Mr GARLICK and Mrs BENNETT killed"

"Wednesday April 21st (1847) Tonight the lads have been burning effigies of Mr GARLICK and Mrs BENNETT."

Many thanks for any ideas.

Reputation beyond repute

...in case that has any bearing
    The locality may have a bearing.

Hi Peter - thanks for responding: it was Studley, Warwickshire - but on the Worcestershire border & the Baptist Chapel at that time had Worcs connections.

Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    The locality may have a bearing.

It sounds like the sort of thing that would attract the attention of local papers...

Thanks Lesley - yes, you'd think so wouldn't you, but there aren't many available for the year and we've drawn a blank on that avenue.

Lesley you are an absolute star! On the back of your suggestion I had a re-think on how I had searched the newspapers, then searched again without the names - just with the key words 'burning effigies' and Eureka! I found a report and some clues to further reaseach - thank you VERY much! Joy

Loves to help with queries

Lewes in Sussex has probably the longest and best-known tradition of effigy burning in the UK (which still continues every year), but maybe this wasn't the sort of thing you were after?

"From 1711, Effigies of the Pope, Devil, and Pretender were made and carried in processions in the evening in order to be burnt at night. It was an early ritual that lasted only a few years but elements of it still exist in today’s Lewes Bonfire Night Celebrations."

https://www.lewesbonfirecelebrations...-celebrations/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-maga...nitor-29915270

Had you found?
    William Garlick, buried 18 Feb, abode Kenilworth, age 61, burial place Kenilworth Parish Church
    Anne Bennett, widow, age 69, residence Feckenham, buried 27 Jan 1847, place Nesley, Warwick

Possible candidates for Mr Garlick and Mrs Bennett?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The Lewes one is a 5th November thing - they also have been known to include effigies of modern annoying people.
    Mind you, it's about 20 years since I was last there....

The 1841 Census has a William Garlick, Castle End, Kenilworth, age 50, born County - occupation "comb m"? (comb maker?). The age 50 (rounded down - YoB 1787-1791) could fit the William age 61 in '47.

I was wondering whether the burning could be some form of tribute/mark of respect for the pair rather than an expression of anger?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast