Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by davyr View Post
    Lewes in Sussex has probably the longest and best-known tradition of effigy burning in the UK (which still continues every year), but maybe this wasn't the sort of thing you were after?

"From 1711, Effigies of the Pope, Devil, and Pretender were made and carried in processions in the evening in order to be burnt at night. It was an early ritual that lasted only a few years but elements of it still exist in today’s Lewes Bonfire Night Celebrations."

https://www.lewesbonfirecelebrations...-celebrations/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-maga...nitor-29915270
    That's true - I was quite amazed to find that a lot of these incidents were being reported around the mid century all over the country (especially in Wales) and it seems that it was the accepted expression of moral outrage and condemnation for a whole host of offences in smaller communities ...... the Face Book rant of its time!

Thanks for the input Helachau and yes, not such an unusual name as you might think. A whole host of them popped up only yesterday on an Ancestry tree I watch (an incredible community project to create a village family tree - for Stoneleigh in Warwickshire) but I'm not actively researching the families, just doing a local history project transcribing and explaining local events from a contemporary diary (Hill family, well known Baptists of Studley).

Incidentally though, the newspaper report I eventually found which explained this event revealed that my Garlick & Bennett effigies were burned because of "transactions of a rather delicate nature, in which two parties of the place were concerned"! There is no clue given in the newspaper report of their names, so the diary project has already proved its worth to potential family researchers .....

Many thanks to everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12