lauraathawes

Default Barbara Muriel Rowden

So there was a rumor in my family that Barbara had committed suicide in Swindon. I have ordered her death certificate and it has confirmed this as the case.

I have contacted the Swindon Local Studies Library to hopefully be able to view the Swindon Advertiser for the right year in the hope that something may have been mentioned and I'm waiting to here back from them.
    But I wondered if there would be any where else worth checking? The death certificate says there was a Inquest into her death are there documents held someone that I could view? Would there of been a Police Report or Railway Report? (She jumped of a railway bridge)
    It also mentions in the cause of death as 'under metal stress' do you think it would be possible that she might have been in hospital?? And if so where would of been the closest one? Her last known address was Wroughton, Wiltshire.

She died 24th November 1970 and the Inquest was held 4th December 1970

Many thanks in advance.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I would ask the local record office if they can tell you where the inquest papers are held. There may not be any retained.

Again, assuming that she was local, they would be the best place to advise on local hospitals and the availability of records.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

You could try the Railways archives https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/

Have you seen this site dedicated to the surname ROWDEN https://www.rowdensurname.org

Family can ask for the hearing to be held privately therefore it doesn't make the press. I did this in 2002 all that made the press was the initial finding of the body and the approx area he was from! I would add the police knew who he was from his car, but hadn't traced me and yes they use the same techniques we use in FH