Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Frederick John Barrett - marriage Rhodesia

I am hoping that someone can help me find the marriage of Frederick John Barrett and Kathleen Thomas. He was born 3rd July 1914 Hartlepool Durham England to parents Frederick John Barrett Snr. and Margaret Scott Welton and he was previously married to a Swedish lady in Rhodesia. I would also like to try and find this 1st marriage too if possible.

Frederick John Barrett served in Rhodesian Armoured Car Corps with the Rhodesian Army during WW2. Prior to the start of 2nd world war he served in the London Metropolitan Police from 1934 to 1939. At the time of leaving he was single, so his 1st marriage must have taken place after 1939. I do not know when he married his second wife Kathleen but he had a son born 1950 in Salisbury ( Harare) Southern Rhodesia and another son born 1952 Fort Jameson Northern Rhodesia.

If you can assist me or point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

dinkey

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Putting 'Southern Rhodesia BMD records' and Northern Rhodesia BMD records' into a search engine led me eventually to another forum where it was suggested that the person contacted the relevant Embassy in London.

Alternatively search for Registrar General Births Marriages and Deaths' adding either Zimbabwe or Zambia which should give you a contact address in that country.

Southern Rhodesia death records are on FamilySearch
    https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en...orical_Records)
    so you could perhaps search for a death registration for Frederick's first wife, though of course they may just have divorced.

Incidentally, did your knowledge of the sons' births come from family knowledge or a record source? If the latter, have you searched a similar database for the marriages?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Pam, I will follow that up.

I knew about the son's birth from the family but not where and when the parents marriage took place or that of Frederick's first marriage

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

There is a marriage of a Frederick John Barrett on FS, the certificate says he is 26, and in the Southern Rhodesian Recog unit. 12th Feb 1941 but to a Cathleen Frances Bailey, says she was born in England though.

Mrs P