Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Kate Code of Woodlands Ballintemple, Carlow

Any information regarding my biological grandfather who was Kate’s boyfriend in 1916. My Mother’s birth cert has no father on it. Her marriage cert shows “Robert Code, Doctor” as her father, but this may be made up. He may have been called Robert. I’m told he may also have been Jewish, which must be a rarity in Co. Carlow.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Firstly, for the BG sleuths, there is a bit of background about Kate in this thread.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...-Code-(or-Codd)

John, I presume you mean your mother's marriage certificate when you say
    Her marriage cert shows “Robert Code, Doctor” as her father, but this may be made up.
    If your mother's surname was Code, then her father's name is almost certainly made up, unless Robert and Kate were cousins, or two completely unrelated people who happened to have the same surname. (Has been known. ) Though the Robert part might be true. Have you searched records for a Robert Code, doctor?
    Have you found a baptism record for your mother, though I doubt that would have any further details.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello John

Was Dorothy born in England or Ireland? The only birth I can see is for a Dorothy Code , mother's maiden name Code , Leeds Mar Q 1917.
    I can also see a marriage of a Katherine Code to an Edwin Falcus, Dec Q 1917, Ripon.
    Are either of these records relevant?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi
    As I understand it, Kate became pregnant by a Jewish boy, (according to my aunty Joan) with Dorothy in Ireland. Tom Codd would have let her have the child and they would bring it up, but Bridget was unhappy with that. In the end, the Jewish community arranged for Kate to go to England, to the Jewish community in Ripon, N Yorks. She arrived in Liverpool and stayed with one Louisa Falcus, then on to Ripon. She was on a trip to Leeds when Dorothy was born. They also introduced her to handsome young blacksmith Edwin Lithgo Falcus, who was in the Army. I have a wedding photo. When Edwin returned to Tyneside with Kate, my mother was referred to as The Orphan Girl, and his parents looked after her till she was 3, when she joined the rest of the family.
    I have only just been given a photo of Tom and Bridget last week. The morphing of Codd to Code took place at some point. I now feel I never really knew Dorothy, as none of this stuff was revealed to me (or my father) and now I’m scratching around.
    Let me know if I can supply any more info, but it’s thin on the ground.
    John

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam
    Thanks for that. I’m guessing Kate might have know his first name, at least, so I searched for local Roberts with Jewish sounding names. I came across a Robert Keppel last week, but no useful leads. A few years ago before Dorothy succumbed to dementia and died, I asked about Robert, and why he would have the same surname. It wasn’t until this point that Dorothy told me she was illegitimate, which was why I had always been steered away from questions about her family. My late aunty Joan was the only person who would talk to me about this stuff.
    John

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLupton View Post
    Hi
    As I understand it, Kate became pregnant by a Jewish boy, (according to my aunty Joan) with Dorothy in Ireland. Tom Codd would have let her have the child and they would bring it up, but Bridget was unhappy with that. In the end, the Jewish community arranged for Kate to go to England, to the Jewish community in Ripon, N Yorks. She arrived in Liverpool and stayed with one Louisa Falcus, then on to Ripon. She was on a trip to Leeds when Dorothy was born. They also introduced her to handsome young blacksmith Edwin Lithgo Falcus, who was in the Army. I have a wedding photo. When Edwin returned to Tyneside with Kate, my mother was referred to as The Orphan Girl, and his parents looked after her till she was 3, when she joined the rest of the family.
    I have only just been given a photo of Tom and Bridget last week. The morphing of Codd to Code took place at some point. I now feel I never really knew Dorothy, as none of this stuff was revealed to me (or my father) and now I’m scratching around.
    Let me know if I can supply any more info, but it’s thin on the ground.
    John
    Thank you for kindly providing the information.
    It would possibly be worth contacting Jewish organisations within Ireland..

As another poss line of enquiry - in the 1911 census of Ireland there were only 19 Roberts recorded as being Jewish. Of these there was a 19 year old Robert Green, a medical student in Dublin. He could be a complete red herring of course!
    I think he may have married a Sara Hesselberg in Dublin in 1919.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks. Looks like a very good lead. The family employed domestic servants, and Kate would have been the right age. She was employed as such when she came to England.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi John,

I just came across your post and wanted to say hello. Edwin Falcus was my grandfather's brother, I was lucky enough to have been in regular contact with your Aunty Joan before she passed away, she was such a wealth of knowledge and I still miss her emails. Joan also told me the story of the Jewish connection back in Ireland. Have you thought about doing an Ancestry DNA test? I did one recently and have found relatives from many generations back. I'd love to hear from you. Warm regards, Louise