Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    janbooth

A bit more information on daughter Emma. Emma BINGHAM, father Abraham Robert De MENDES, married Henry James STEVENS on 11 April 1849 at Overton, Hampshire.

Janet

Loves to help with queries

thanks Janet I am going blind looking as I cannot find a burial

hold on 'Robert' thats the first time I have seen the name, others have said Salomoh... and that is about as far away from a jewish name that you can get...

janbooth

It is a transcription mind you, and given some of the awful transcriptions of quite legible original records on various sites - mentioning no names - his second name could well be incorrect, although Family Search have also transcribed his second name as Robert. You would need to look at the original to be absolutely sure.

Several newspaper reports of Emma's second marriage, but none mention her father just that she was the relict of Charles BINGHAM, Esq. of Lichfield. Looks as if first husband Charles, a Surgeon in Lichfield, died in November1834 as a result of his horse falling. According to the newspaper report, Emma was left a widow with two children.

Again no help whatsoever in determining where Abraham died!

Janet

Loves to help with queries

its still a conundrum because under Jewish Law she would have to have been a convert ie Jewish if they felt for one moment she was not sincere the marriage would not have happened.

janbooth

Is it possible that Abraham died abroad given that he was a Merchant? I looked for any De MENDES Wills on Ancestry to see if he was mentioned and noticed that there were some De MENDES Wills for Merchants who were living abroad. Just a thought as we are having a singular lack of success in finding his death in the UK.

Janet

Knowledgeable and helpful

going back to 1801 marriage the Bevis Marks record book does say

Abraham de Selomoh Mendes m Havah {a proselyte) 27 ab 5561 which is 6 Aug 1801

you could try the archivist at Bevis Marks they may be able to help this early book doesn't give as much info as later ones
    a no of ketubots are missing for this period and record in books have been taken from Mahamads record of Licences .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12