Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boer War - Hoey

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Boer War - Hoey

Hi Everyone,

Need some help here,

I have a chap who served in South Africa in 1901 according to his wife's census details. Presumably that would have been the Boer War.
    According to their child's birth certificate in 1900 her fathers occupation: Private in the 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Rifles. His name was William John Hoey born c1878

Now I can only find a J Hoey same regiment around 1900/1. Not sure whether this is actually the same man? Any ideas how I can confirm it's him. Although why would he use a different initial?

I cant seem to go back any further on his family side, He seems very elusive! On his marriage certificate he left off all his fathers details for one reason or another.

Any help or ideas will be much appreciated..

Kind Regards

Nezzz

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War records reading this will tell you a little about us.
    To help us sort out your man from any others of the same name can you give us his wife's name, birth date etc and the same for his daughter born 1900? Were they in Ireland in 1901?
    Usually when a father's name is left off a birth or marriage certificate it is because the person was born illegitimate but can also indicate a rift in the family.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

can you give us his wife's name
    Also where was he born? Any other children? Names?

janbooth

It looks as if he may have served in World War 1 also. The National Archives have a downloadable image of the medal card (Silver War Badge Roll awarded in 1919 according to FindmyPast) of a private William J HOEY previously a Private in the Royal Irish Rifles reg no 877, subsequently a Private in the Labour Corps reg no 333767. Not too sure this will give you any further information though. Unfortunately, it does not look as if his Service Record has survived. There are some records for HOEY but none with either regimental number. I think as both Christina & Peter have said, we need a bit more background information.

Janet

377 and 333767 Pte William J Hoey of the RIR and Lab Corps also had the 15 Star, British and Victory medals, arrived at the Front in France 2 Oct, 1915, disch. 20 May 1919.

Have you tracked him in earlier censuses? Where was his wife living in the 1901?
    I can't find a William John b 1878 +/- 2 on FreeBMD or Scotlands People.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks very much for your help so far...
    This is what I have..

William John Hoey married Emma/Emily Lee in Brighton in 1895. They possibly had 3 children , Arthur G Hoey b 1900 London

Winifred Dorothy Hoey b 1905 Steyning Suusex and an Elizabeth Hoey b 1907 Brighton Sussex

I can find Emma/Emily (although she's down as Elizabeth?) in the 1901 Census in Oxfordshire with her son Arthur G (father soldier in

S.Africa)

I can not find him in any English Census, which tells me he is probably Irish?

I rechecked his age, on his marriage certificate it says he was 20yrs (Domestic Valet) so minus twenty gives us 1875 the year he

was born.

I find his wife re-married according to the census of 1911 (To a chap called Veasey) although they weren't actually till 1916. There

is no sign of her older two children either 1911.

But she was trying to claim for them when her husband A E Veasey was enlisted in WW1

Arthur G went onto marry in 1920 to Ivy Ethel Williams in 1920 Islington, he had father's occupation a soldier (Deceased)

Hope you guys can see more clues....

I do wonder though why she kept changing names etc... Not everyone surly misheard!

Kind Regards

Ness

Maybe covering her tracks if she remarried in 1916 since his medal card and silver war badge indicate that William was alive in 1919?
    Maybe the older children went with their father?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Lesley,
    Thanks for that, It seems quite plausible that's our William J Hoey. Think without his records its going to be tough finding another avenue. Unless there maybe something else to try.
    Just had a thought, If he was still alive in 1919, but his son classed him as deceased 1920 that gives me a fine line to check...

Kind Regards

Ness

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Also thanks Jan..

An Arthur G b. 1900 married Ivy Ethel Williams in Islington in 1920 according to Ancestry's marriage index. It looks like he died in Willesden Mx in 1955.
    A Winifred D Hoey married William HT Green in Islington in 1929. Birth reg Winifred Dorothy H in 1905 in Steyning, Sx.
    An Elizabeth Hoey born Brighton Sx 1907. Anc have her indexed as Hooey for the 1911.

Anc shows a William John Hoey b. 1876 in the Catholic Register for Wicklow, Ireland (at the coastguard station!). His parents are shown as Thomas Hoey & Charlotte Abernethy.

Also one 1876 in Belfast, but he died the same year...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast