Default Transferring data programs

Hi, I am William macdonald, a new guy on the block and this is my first post to the forum and I am keeping my fingers crossed that someone can help me ( in plain dummy language).
    I have compiled my records over the years using a program called Ultimate Family Tree by Softkey who were taken over and dumped by Palladium. The UFT program was suitable for Windows 98 and I downloaded a patch which allowed me to use the program with Windows XP.
    Now XP is not supported anymore and my computer is creaking with age so I need to move on to Windows 10 but I cannot find any method of transferring the records because I cannot find any new genealogy program which is capable of accepting/understanding the records from UFT.

Is there anyone out there who would have the answer to help me make the transition ??

Check your UFT and see whether it can export files in GEDCOM format. I can't imagine that it won't since it was a fairly standard thing by 1998. GEDCOM is a genealogical version of using txt files to move from one text editor to another. You would probably have to reload any photos you have in the file...

I assume that you don't need to be told to keep copies of everything until you are sure that it's worked (I'm paranoid enough to keep printout as well). Don't get rid of the old computer until you're sure that the new one has accepted your files!

Others may have other ideas of course.

PS Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Check your UFT and see whether it can export files in GEDCOM format. I can't imagine that it won't since it was a fairly standard thing by 1998. GEDCOM is a genealogical version of using txt files to move from one text editor to another. You would probably have to reload any photos you have in the file...

I assume that you don't need to be told to keep copies of everything until you are sure that it's worked (I'm paranoid enough to keep printout as well). Don't get rid of the old computer until you're sure that the new one has accepted your files!

Others may have other ideas of course.

PS Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    Many thanks Lesley, for the info and your instant response. Now I know what Gedcom is!! Yes UFT has Gedcom so I will attempt to download everything onto a disc ready for finding a new genealogy program and for getting a new computer. Of course I will take your good advice and commit everything to paper as well. Thanks a lot , William Macdonald