Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Fanny Louisa Stevens

Hi all.
    I’m trying to trace Fanny Louisa Stevens (Louisa fanny) she was born Dec 25th 1902, married Henry Alfred plummer aug 1925 in Greenwich she died feb 1978 in bexley kent.
    She had a sister Florence who I think was born in 1903 who I think married a Fred.
    I think Fanny’s parents were Harry Stevens and Eliza Ford who married in 1884 and at the time of marriage lived in Lynton road, think there grandad was a Henry Ford, not sure on their nan.
    If I’m right on my research so far I then am completely stuck on her mother’s side (Ford) I’m not so sure I’m right as my farther in law says his grandparents only had 2 children Fanny and Florence but looking at census records I can’t find them as family as 4, can only find records with other siblings.
    Thanks for your help.

Knowledgeable and helpful

From the GRO site

Fanny Louisa Stevens Mar 1903 Camberwell 1d 932 mmn Ford

Florence Ellen Stevens Dec 1904 Camberwell 1d 967 mmn Ford

There are other Stevens children registered Camberwell with mmn Ford but not sure if they are the same family

Marriage

Harry Stevens/Eliza Ford Dec 1884 St Saviour 1d 38

Having married in 1884 it would be rather strange to wait nearly 20 years before having children.

My suggestion is to buy the birth certificate fo Fanny Louisa which will give you the names of her parents to confirm you have the correct family in the Census.

Emeltee

Brick wall demolition expert!

Fanny Louisa Stevens’ birth was registered in the January quarter of 1903 in Camberwell (Vol 1D page 932), whose mother’s maiden name was Ford.

Florence Ellen Stevens’ birth was registered in the December quarter of 1904 in Camberwell (Vol 1D page 967), whose mother’s maiden name was Ford.

James Stevens 1904 December quarter Camberwell Vol 1D Page 877 - mother’s maiden name Ford.
    Charles Stevens 1906 July quarter Camberwell Vol 1D Page 867 - mother’s maiden name Ford.

In 1884 a Harry Stevens married one of Sarah Jane Hill, ELIZA FORD, or Annie Laura Winson in S. Saviour, Southwark (Dec Quarter Vol 1D Page 38).

In the 1901 Census Harry and Eliza are at 7 Lindon Street, Camberwell RG13 Piece 506 Folio 95 Page 22. Harry is aged 40 from New Brompton, Kent and a general carman, and Eliza is 36 from Wiltshire and they have 6 children.

In the 1891 Census they are living in Ruby Street, Camberwell and have two children. RG12 piece 483 folio 15 page 22

In 1911 Census I have Harry living at 23 Sedlon Road Nunhead S E, St Paul Deptford, London & Kent, with 7 children. He is described as married but Eliza is not there. RG14PN2645 RG78PN90 RD28 SD3 ED4 SN299
    Fanny is I believe “Louie” and listed as a Sister! He has 15 children, 6 of whom have died.

Eliza is a patient in the poor law infirmary - Vanbrugh Hill Greenwich S E, Grennwich : RG14PN2716 RD28 SD5 ED31 SN1. Her record says that she had had 12 children and that 3 had died.

Knowledgeable and helpful

One thing I noticed when looking for Stevens/Ford children was the fact that Florence Ellen was registered Dec 1904 page 967 and James Stevens was registered Dec 1904 page 887.

Surely if Florence and James were twins they would have been registered together and be on the same page, or possibly consecutive pages. As there are at least 100 pages between them I would think that there are possibly two Stevens families mmn Ford in the area, or am I being a bit thick and missing something?

Emeltee

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    One thing I noticed when looking for Stevens/Ford children was the fact that Florence Ellen was registered Dec 1904 page 967 and James Stevens was registered Dec 1904 page 887.

Surely if Florence and James were twins they would have been registered together and be on the same page, or possibly consecutive pages. As there are at least 100 pages between them I would think that there are possibly two Stevens families mmn Ford in the area, or am I being a bit thick and missing something?

Emeltee

I have to say that I had a similar thought, and I think Deanne needs to go through the censuses I have listed and list out all the children and slot them in, because there is conflicting information in the 1911 censuses between Harry and Eliza regarding the number of children they have, and also there is a death of a 2 year old Charles Stevens in Camberwell in 1908, but he seems to appear with his father in the 1911 census.

I wonder whether there were a couple of large Stevens families in the Camberwell area about the same time?

I think from memory Harry appears as a "car man" in every census mentioned above, so assuming that is the right occupation then that should be reflected on any birth certificates or death certificates of his children, and might even appear on Fanny's marriage certificate.

A carman was "Driver of (horse-drawn) vehicles for transporting goods. Carmen were often employed by railway companies for local deliveries and collections of goods and parcels. Modern day van driver. A Carter typically drove a light two wheeled carriage. Also sometimes someone who drove horse-drawn trams was called a Carman."

Quote Originally Posted by Deanne.plummer View Post
    I think Fanny’s parents were Harry Stevens and Eliza Ford
    Do you have a copy of Fanny's marriage cert. and if you do what are the parents names ?

The Harry Stevens who is married to Eliza Ford has his birth registered 1861, Medway, Kent. Parents Henry & Mary Ann Martin who married 1861 Malling reg., Kent.
    This Harry is with his parents in 1881 living in Bermondsey, occupation - labourer carman

All Saints, Walworth, 16th Nov 1884.
    Harry Stevens, 24, labourer, father Henry a wheelwright.
    Eliza Ford, 19, father Henry (deceased) labourer. Witnesses William Stevens and Fanny Jane Hutchings.

Eliza at marriage gives the address 320 Lynton Rd. In 1891, Mark Hutchins 40, Plaitford Wilts, wife Fanny Jane Hutchins and 6 children were living at 320 Lynton Road. RG12; Piece: 379; Folio: 125; Page: 8
    Alma

Mark Hutchings married Fanny Jane Stevens 1875, Medway reg. Kent. Fanny appears to be Harry Stevens' sister.

1881, RG11; Piece: 2058; Folio: 26; Page: 14;
    Eliza Ford, 16, servant, born Hindon

I haven't definitely found her in 1871.

Best fit I have found so far, but not the right aea.
    1871, Stratton St Margaret, Highworth. RG10; Piece: 1879; Folio: 38; Page: 2
    Loveden Thome 50, beerhouse keeper, Little Hinton, Wilts
    Martha Thome 57, Little Hinton, Wilts
    Edward Ford 9, grandson,
    Emma Ford 7, grand dau
    Elizabeth Ford 5, grand dau, Stratton St Margaret
    Edward, Emma and Elizabeth all registered with MMN Cripps.

1851, HO107; Piece: 1833; Folio: 308; Page: 10
    All born Little Hinton.
    Lovedos Thome 30, farmer's labourer
    Martha Thome 39, wife
    Henry Ford 16, wife's son. (could he be Eliza's father?)

Henry Ford married Ann Cripps, Highworth, Sept qrt 1860.
    Alma

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast