Famous for offering help & advice

Default War brides emigration.

During WW2 there was a marraige and 2 children born to a Canadian serviceman.Sometime after the war ended they went to live in Canada. Are there any records of the war brides and children that emigrated? I have the marraige records, just looking for records of them leaving.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I looked for my mother leaving in 1946, using FMP and found her, with lots of extra info, like my dad's id number, rank and an intriguing "Remark" in the last column - P 5 1/2 , which I think means 5 1/2 months pregnant! Lots of other women with the same remark. Children listed as well with their ages, including months. pwholt

Reputation beyond repute

It's all explained in the National Archives resarch guide

Starting to feel at home

War brides emigration.

I have tried unsuccessfully to trace the movement of a distant relative that married a Canadian airman in 1940 then emigrated after WW2. I have found the marriage but so far have not located her on any passenger list to Canada. I have even looked at lists to the US with no success. Is it possible that spouses travelled on troop ships? Surely there would still be passenger lists. I can confirm that she appears on voters lists in Winnipeg. Is there somewhere else I should search?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

That is so annoying. Typically, I read something about 'ordinary' people travelling on troop ships only yesterday - and I can't remember exactly where I saw it. Think it was on Ancestry, but I'm having one of my 'delete, delete' phases, and am deleting my accessed URLs within twelve hours.

(About half an hour later . . . .)
    After having had a brainwave to search the Ancestry card catalog using the word 'troop', I managed to find the page I saw earlier.
    It won't help in your search because it refers to US troops 1910-1939, but it says
    "This collection consists of lists of passengers arriving at U.S. ports on Army ships. In addition to troops, passengers could also include nurses and other support personnel, family members, and any other passengers who may have been traveling onboard these ships. In some instances, troops from other countries traveled on U.S. Army ships as well."
    It refers to the record set U.S., Army Transport Service, Passenger Lists 1910-1939.

Presumably a similar thing happened with Canadian troops and their wives and children.

I have however had a further brainwave.
    Presumably you have some idea of where she was living before she emigrated, so it would be worth searching local newspapers for a report of when she left the UK. Try the British Newspaper Archive https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
    You have to register, but can do unlimited searches for free, and I believe you can look at three results for free. Though you might want to check if the district you want is covered before you start looking, especially if it's a fairly common surname.
    Most of the BNA is also available on Findmypast.

Do you know if any children were born in the UK, because that might help cut down your search period. e.g. child born here in March 1946 - then start looking after that date.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”