lynnelay

Default Warwickshire and Birmingham c1790 to 1850

Hi, this is my first post on this thread. I would like to run a scenario past you and see if you have any comments, ideas or research that could help me..
    My Great x 3 Grand father Samuel Harvey was born c 1791.(This is from his age at death) I do not know his parents, but by going forward a generation to his son, also Samuel, b 1818 in Birmingham, he is on 41 and 51 censuses. On his marriage to Susannah Carter (1836 St Peter's Harbourne) his father is called Samuel and at his baptism (1821, St Philip's , Birmingham, Abode Queen St) parents are Samuel and Elizabeth. After a lot of searching and cross checking, I believe them to be Samuel Harvey and Elizabeth Nicholls married Aston, Apr 1813.
    Are you still with me? I do hope so.

Looking for Samuel b 1791 baptism , I have a very good idea that matches well, but his father would be John Harvey from Bagington where he married and Berkswell, where Samuel was baptised. Both of these were still in Warwickshire about 14 miles fro Birmingham. Samuel b 1791 and Elizabeth had their marriage witnessed by John and Elizabeth Harvey and with this baptism he had siblings of these names. Mother Jane Garner had a father Samuel.
    If you can see any glaring errors I would love to know.
    Is that distance doable at that time.? If you have any other info that would also be greatly received. I have used Anc and family search.
    Elizabeth Harvey nee Nicolls remarried in 1825 to James Cade after Samuel died in 1822, buried St Philip's Birmingham. Elizabeth is buried at Witton Cemetery 1864. Samuel Junior eventually moved his family to Liverpool in the 1850s, but that is another story.
    Surprisingly , although I originally come from Liverpool, I now live in Warwickshire, close by Coventry, and did not expect to find family here. I have known for a while that Samuel Harvey moved his family from Birmingham to Liverpool about 1850. He was a machine fitter.
    Thank you for your time. I have posted this on another site as well because I am keen for the input.
    Thanks

Knowledgeable and helpful

14 miles would have been an afternoon's stroll to some families. Our ancestors moved around quite a bit in the 1800s, often following work.

My 3x gt grandfather was born at the beginning of the 1800s in Hertfordshire, by the 1830s the family was in Durham and then he moved, with his wife and 4 children, to Yorkshire in the 1840s so a distance of 14 miles is nothing!

The Samuel Harvey baptised Berkswell is the only Samuel I can find baptised 1791+/-2 yrs parents John and Jane, although there was one baptised Birmingham in 1796 parents William and Thomason(Thomasine?)

Emeltee

PS I'm from Liverpool too, Woolton.

lynnelay

Thanks for that, I thought that too. Woolton is a lovely part of Liverpool , all sandstone as I recall. beautiful.
    I thought of William and Thomason? as well, but they were married after his birth date from his death documents. Also the siblings did not have any connections with other info I had gathered. Think John and Jane are more likely. Thanks again

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

There are various threads about Samuel Harvey and his wife Susanna(h) Carter.

To avoid duplicating previous research please refer to post #7 in this thread.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...usannah-Carter

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”