Thread: Mary Garnson

aeracura

Default Mary Garnson

Hi there, my 5th great grandmother was Mary Garnson, born around 1723 in Staffordshire. She married John Vickers at Church Eaton on April 4th, 1743 at Church Eaton. John was born 1718 in High Onn, Staffordshire. I have been unable to find any birth recorded for Mary or where she was from or who her parents were. Does anyone have any idea how I may be able to find out?

- Jo (in Australia)

There's info on what records have survived, etc, on the GENUKI page for Church Eaton HERE.

For example, it gives the locations of the Church Registers.

FMP have transcribed Mary's name at marriage as "Garmson" not "Garnson" - and looking at the original image I would favour "Garmson".
    The surname "Garnson" is almost as rare as hen's teeth, not just in Stafford but throughout England/Wales parish records.

Looking at the Church Eaton registers (on FMP) there were a number of Mary's baptised between 1713 and 1733 - but none with a surname resembling "Garnson".

The closest I could spot was a Mary Garmson, baptised Walsall, 1710, parents Thomas and Mary. Checking the burials of a Mary Vicars/Vickers in Church Eaton delivers two possibilities, but age at death is not recorded. So, unable to confirm year of birth.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

janbooth

Hello Jo,

FindmyPast (a pay per view site) has the actual parish register image of Mary's marriage in 1743 and on looking at it, I think her surname is actually GARMSON. FMP do have actual parish register images of Church Eaton St Editha available to view and there are certainly several GARMSON records. I cannot find a baptism for Mary there using their search facility but there are several GARMSON burial records from 1728 to 1770 which may enable you to build up family trees and perhaps use them to find the baptism for your Mary. There is a Lichfield Will for a William GARMSON who died in 1730 who mentions 2 sons and a daughter in law who is perhaps of an age to be the grandfather of your Mary. He is likely to be connected in some way to her as there are not that many GARMSON records in Church Eaton. However, I cannot find a likely baptism for your Mary GARMSON in Staffordshire on either FMP or Ancestry.

The parish register baptismal records of the children of John & Mary VIC(C)ARS are available to view on FMP as are their burial records.

Sorry I cannot give you full details, their terms & conditions forbid this, but it could perhaps be worth your while to do some free searches and see which, if any, of their records could be useful to you.

Janet

Post crossed with Helechau's