Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Anyone know a Jamesina Scott from Edinburgh ?

Unusual name. Married to xxx Scott. From one of the best families in Edinburgh (?) Educated. Accomplished.
    Might be an ONeil, McNeil, etc. maiden name.

Having communicated with this new member I can say that Jamesina Scott nee ?? lived sometime in the 1700's. Hopefully the poster will have more details for us.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Barbeehd, welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. I'm afraid that for the 18th century, the forename is not that unusual, and the Scotts were a large Borders family.
    As Chris said, hopefully you will provide more information to try and make her stand out from the crowd - you may not realise how much you know. You may find the message HERE about helping us to help you useful.

As well as telling us what you know about Jamesina, it would be useful to know where you have already looked so that members don't waste their time repeating your work.

Since Birth, Marriage and Death certificates didn't start in Scotland until 1855, I am going to move this query to the Edinburgh forum where it might be seen by more people who know the area. Answers to queries often turn up weeks or even months after they are posted!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Dumped the heading in google and this came up!

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=751690.0

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for reinstating my Jamesina. The rootschat item is mine. Posted it a long time ago.. Only info I have is from statements made by my ggggrandfather in a "vanity" publication. Listed in his obit is his mother "James" and father "John". James was from one of the best families in Edinburgh. She was educated, born and raised in Scotland. Last name ONeil or McNeil. I have nothing else. TIA

Hi
    To help us work backwards from the information you have - what is the birth year of David Scott who arrived in US 1839/41. Where in the US did he settle? Did he arrive with a wife/children or did he marry in the US
    In your other post you say he had 13 siblings one of whom was Alexander. Do you know the names of any of the others? Also how do you know he had 13 siblings if you don't know his parents names. How did you link them up? Sorry, this sounds like an inquisition but the more we know the better to search.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks to Mr Google, I see that the poster has much of the info we're asking for and has posted it HERE.

It is frustrating when someone will not help us to help them...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I don't know what you mean. I have listed everything I know about James (Jamesina).

The information I have about David Scott is from the Kankakee, IL Biographical Book with his biography in it. How much of it is true (or made up), I am not sure. He says he was the third child in a family of 14. He was born Dec. 27 1827 (or 1828). Four boys and ten girls. His brother, Alexander, was in the army and inherited the Scott estate. His father lived near Liverpool and all the generations before him also. David went to school in Philadelphia for a year and a half after coming to America. He then went to Vermont and worked in the Marble/slate industry. He married Clarissa Terrill in 1849 and they moved to Kankakee with their 3 children. He farmed in Kankakee.

His death cert. does not state his parent's names. His obit. states them as James and John Scott. This was from the Kankakee paper. He died in 1904.
    I hope someone can lead me to more records that may have parents names and his sibs recorded. Thank you.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

That is my post at rootschat.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Good we now have some dates / years to work with

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast