Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mariner Records

The article says Thomas Vipond 'the younger' indicating his father was also Thomas Vipond. So is this the son Thomas born 1783 or a different bloke altogether as you say Thomas born 1783 stayed in Yorkshire.
    Or could he be Thomas senior who was also the son of a Thomas? Do you know when Thomas the mariner died?
    Durham University has a data base of probate records, here. There is one for a Thomas Vipond, Mason, of Durham who died 1844 and it says 'administration with the will annexed granted to Thomas Vipond, son and one of the residuary legatees; Robert Crow and Anthony Elliot the named executors having refused to act.'
    The Gazette report has Thomas Vipond involved with sea going activites and also as a mason.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    The article says Thomas Vipond 'the younger' indicating his father was also Thomas Vipond. So is this the son Thomas born 1783 or a different bloke altogether as you say Thomas born 1783 stayed in Yorkshire.
    Or could he be Thomas senior who was also the son of a Thomas? Do you know when Thomas the mariner died?
    Durham University has a data base of probate records, here. There is one for a Thomas Vipond, Mason, of Durham who died 1844 and it says 'administration with the will annexed granted to Thomas Vipond, son and one of the residuary legatees; Robert Crow and Anthony Elliot the named executors having refused to act.'
    The Gazette report has Thomas Vipond involved with sea going activites and also as a mason.
    Christina
    Thomas the Mariner, is the father born between 1750/1760.
    Son Thomas, was born 1783 in Bentham.

Which means that Thomas the Mariner, who is referred to as the younger, also appears to have a father called Thomas.

I've not found any deaths for any Thomas Viponds in Bentham at Find My Past or FreeReg. But the son Thomas born 1783, died between 1841 and 1851, as he appears 1841, but his wife is widowed on the 1851 Census, living at Thornton in Lonsdale. And I think Bentham and Thornton in Lonsdale are just walking distance between each other.

Possibly could be the Mariners will though. I will take a look. Thanks.

This may be the death reg of the Thomas Vipond who died 1844
    Thomas Vipond
    Age 72
    Birth Date - 1772
    Died 14 Mar 1844
    Buried 17 Mar 1844
    Buried at Bishopwearmouth, Durham, England
    FHL Film Number - 1514552
    Reference ID: it 2, p 137, no 1096

I think he is in Bishop Wearmouth in 1841, occupation Mason
    :HO107 Piece 309 Book 5 Folio 8 Page 11
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    This may be the death reg of the Thomas Vipond who died 1844
    Thomas Vipond
    Age 72
    Birth Date - 1772
    Died 14 Mar 1844
    Buried 17 Mar 1844
    Buried at Bishopwearmouth, Durham, England
    FHL Film Number - 1514552
    Reference ID: it 2, p 137, no 1096

I think he is in Bishop Wearmouth in 1841, occupation Mason
    :HO107 Piece 309 Book 5 Folio 8 Page 11
    Christina
    It's not my Thomas then. His son was born 1783, so he'd have been born long before 1772. Which is why I estimate between 1750/1760.

I've just finished reading the will too and it mentions a son Thomas, who was a Carpenter.
    But it's obviously not the man I'm looking for.

Back to square one then.

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

I did find a newspaper death announcement in the Lancaster Gazette and General Advertiser for October 1804 which says at Fordale near Ingleton aged 63 Mr Thomas Vipond, a truly upright honest man who's memory will by long revered etc. No mention of occupation. That would be a birth about 1741, wasn't sure if this was near Bentham.

Mrs P

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPoppy View Post
    I did find a newspaper death announcement in the Lancaster Gazette and General Advertiser for October 1804 which says at Fordale near Ingleton aged 63 Mr Thomas Vipond, a truly upright honest man who's memory will by long revered etc. No mention of occupation. That would be a birth about 1741, wasn't sure if this was near Bentham.

Mrs P
    Thanks. I think Ingleton, Bentham, Thornton in Lonsdale, Burton in Lonsdale are all pretty much in close proximity. And these locations seems to be where the majority of my Viponds have been located from mid 17th to mid 18th.

Thomas the Mariner, the man in question, I currently have him baptised in 1759 at Thornton in Lonsdale and his parents as being Richard Vipond baptised at Ingleton in 1723 and Elizabeth Allanson. They married in Thornton in Lonsdale in 1755......The dates would seem to work, however I'm not convinced it is right and that I've got the wrong parents for Thomas the Mariner. ......Which means that he could have been born well before 1759, or even after 1759 and not baptised at Thornton.

The parents Richard and Elizabeth, is merely info I'd gleaned from Ancestry, looking at other people's trees. And they aren't always correct. There is a Vipond tree though, that puts Thomas the Mariner as having been born at Liverpool, but not one source to back up this info...... So I mailed him and asked him if he had any solid proof and he'd said it was just guesswork. So it seems others are thinking along same lines as me. That because he was a Mariner, he's more likely to be born in and lived for his youth in the ship building/port regions. Could be wrong of course. I just don't like to just guess at who my ancestors might be, I like some kind of proof. Unfortunately it's not always there.

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

No sadly, there are a lot more Viponds than I expected. I think Bentham is not that far from the coast at Morecambe etc is it? My ancestor lived at Guisborough but was on the Whaling ships from Whitby so he travelled a little distance.

I am not sure what the term Mariner encompasses in those days, on the Galleons or Whaling ships.

Mrs P

Yes, Vipond is an uncommon surname, but back then there are a lot of Viponds in those areas, which is why it's hard to know who are my lot and who aren't. I know I have the correct line as far back mid 17th. Come to think of it, all I'm managing on most lines, is to reach the early 17th century, then I'm hitting dead ends. There's only a couple of lines I've managed to go back further on, one to the 15th century, then a line through my mother and grandfather that goes directly back to before 10th century.

But actually you are right. Just checked and Morecambe is only 35 minutes from Bentham.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by lylacmyst View Post
    Well I've been looking and found this in the Gazette, dated 1827. Comes under the heading of 'At the Court House Durham, in the County on the 20th July 1827'......

Looks to me like it's a death announcement. Or whatever.....I'm not making Head or tail of it, lol.

It's the only thing I'm finding.

Thomas Vipond is my ancestor. They were in struck off - mentioned in the London Gazette - they went from prosperity to bankruptcy. Not sure why yet. They are descendants of the Cumbria Viponds of Alston Moore.

Jacqueline

Quote Originally Posted by Jbbrooks View Post
    Thomas Vipond is my ancestor. They were in struck off - mentioned in the London Gazette - they went from prosperity to bankruptcy. Not sure why yet. They are descendants of the Cumbria Viponds of Alston Moore.

Jacqueline
    I think they are different Thomas Viponds. Since posting here, I’ve come to the conclusion that Marriner was not his occupation, but he was actually Thomas Marriner Vipond, as his grandmother on his mothers side was a Margaret Marriner........So I figure he bore her surname. Perhaps at one point he worked and lived in Liverpool, hence the Liverpool connection, but he was born at Ingleton and married in Bentham.

Going further back, our families probably are connected, as Vipond is uncommon, but at the point of 17th, mine were in Ingleton/Bentham, Yorkshire area. 18th to 19th, they are in Durham and also Kendal, Westmorland. Apparently I’m one of the last of the descendents of Bentham Viponds, however I’ve five children and five grandkids, lol.

I do have a 7% DNA match with someone with Viponds of Cumbria in her tree, but it might not necessarily be a Vipond DNA connection.

Thanks for your reply anyway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12