Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by green family View Post
    Hello Helachau,
    Thank you for your time. If you need any information or records checking in the Preston, Lancashire area, please get in touch. Sorry back to the DIY!
    Kind regards,

Greens family
    Many thanks for your very kind offer. Sorry I couldn't deliver the goods for my part.
    Re. Lily's entry in St Paul's baptismal register, did you get my Private Message about sending you an image?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Many thanks for your very kind offer. Sorry I couldn't deliver the goods for my part.
    Re. Lily's entry in St Paul's baptismal register, did you get my Private Message about sending you an image?
    Hello Helachau,
    Nothing in my inbox for private message. I have a scan of Lily's baptism from the Church records. I have now applied for the marriage certificate for Eliza Amelia Clarke which will arrive in a couple of days. I will post my findings.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Kind regards,

Greens family.

Hello,

Latest Update!

Marriage Certificate arrived today :- Eliza Amelia Clarke age 34 years spinster at Wernoleu, Bettws, Wales. Married on the 4 September 1881 at Wesley Chapel Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales. Name of father Samuel Clark occupation Jeweller deceased also witness Rebecca Clarke.

Samuel could have stayed in Portsmouth, he died before 1881, his daughter Eliza Amelia Clarke, born 1847 which ties up with death age in 1902 in Swansea, and also a possible daughter Rebecca in the mix.

Any Additional help please

Kind Regards

Greens family

janbooth

This looks a possibility for Eliza Amelia & father Samuel in the 1851 census of Hitchin, Hertfordshire (HO107/1710, folio 200, page 41):

Saml CLARKE Head Mar 29 Working Jeweller Stoke Hants
    Eliza do Wife Mar 24 Portsea Hants
    Amelia do Daur 3 Portsea Hants
    Rebecca do Daur 8 Hitchin Herts

Not too sure whether the age of Rebecca is correct - should it perhaps be 8 months? There is an 1861 census for a Samuel CLARK in Dorchester, Dorset (RG9/1353, folio 42, pages 9/10) who could be the same Samuel - see what you think.

Janet

janbooth

If the 1861 census family is the same, which I think it probably is, Edward CLARK, aged 11 months in this census, turns up in the 1881 census of Neath, Glamorgan (RG11/5340, folio 4, page 2) shown as a Jeweller, born Dorchester, married to a Charlotte A, surname shown as CLERK. According to the GRO Registration of Edward CLARKE's birth in the June qtr 1860 at Dorchester reg district, his mother's maiden name was PRATT, but it may well be that father Samuel was married twice looking at the two census records for his wives. Also there is a birth registration at Hitchin reg district in the September qtr 1850 for a Rebecca CLARK and the mother's maiden name is BAKER.

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    If the 1861 census family is the same, which I think it probably is, Edward CLARK, aged 11 months in this census, turns up in the 1881 census of Neath, Glamorgan (RG11/5340, folio 4, page 2) shown as a Jeweller, born Dorchester, married to a Charlotte A, surname shown as CLERK. According to the GRO Registration of Edward CLARKE's birth in the June qtr 1860 at Dorchester reg district, his mother's maiden name was PRATT, but it may well be that father Samuel was married twice looking at the two census records for his wives. Also there is a birth registration at Hitchin reg district in the September qtr 1850 for a Rebecca CLARK and the mother's maiden name is BAKER.

Janet
    I've been thinking on the same lines Janet.
    What do you think of an Eliza Baker married Portsea 1846 to a Samuel Cross, then an Eliza Amelia Cross b 1847 Portsea mmn Baker ?
    Samuel Cross and Samuel Baker could be different people or even possibly the same man.

Hello Janbooth,

Thank you for all your help. You have found the family in 1851 and 1861. This has helped me to confirm the 1841 and find 1871. Found a few skeletons in the closet with a court case resulting in divorce and children out of wedlock!

Kind regards,

Green's family

Hello Grisel,

Yes I found today that Samuel was known by two surnames. He tried to avoid divorce costs to the husband of Susannah but ended up paying £200 costs in 1859.

Kind regards, and thanks to everyone on the forum.

Green's family.

janbooth

Fantastic result for you. Grisel's find confirms what I was thinking, i.e. that Samuel may have changed his name for some reason but baby sitting duties yesterday curtailed my searching somewhat.

Glad to be of help and have fun searching out those skeletons!

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

An intriguing family.... Am sure you have been enjoying the search!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast