Thread: Real Estate

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Real Estate

Does anyone know when did the value of land and property start to be included in the valuation of estates in England and Wales?

I have seen a number of valuations done of people's goods etc. down to their clothing, and even when I know they own a property in the early 1800s this does not seem to be included.

Reputation beyond repute

Not quite sure what you mean. I think probate inventories didn't include real estate but those would surely be before the early 1800s that you mention.

Before 1853 freehold property was exempt from death duty. Perhaps that is more relevant.

The post-1858 probate calendars include a valuation but before 1898, this did not include the value of any real estate.

Peter

Thanks for the reply.

One such example I can think of is a lady called Rebecca Spiking who in the 1861 census is described as a “Proprietor of Houses” (piece 2359 folio 21 page 36), yet I can’t find any reference to her in the probate listings after she died in 1862. Her son, who is listed with her in the 1861 census, also died in 1862 a few months after her, and he is listed in the National Probate Calendar, as he left a Will.

Request for info (remember, i'm accustomed to the scottish system). If you died intestate in England & Wales, do you appear on the Probate Calendar?

Yes, if someone has to apply for administration of your estate. So for instance in 1994 when my father's brother died intestate, although his estate was only worth about £2000 in order to settle it my father as his next of kin needed to apply for a Grant of Administration.

The snippet below is an extract from the Probate Calendar. The second entry is my uncle and you will note it says Administration, whereas the first entry says Probate, which I read to mean that there was a Will.