Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Family history software

Hi

What do people recommend as the best software to go for? I use Ancestry online so want something I can use that's compatible.

Thanks

Brick wall demolition expert!

When you say compatible, do you mean that you want to be able to sync your tree between your computer and Ancestry?

If so then you need to look at Mackiev's FTM2017, and I think that RootsMagic is also now able to do so.

The only one I know anything about is FTM2017 and that works fine for me.

If you are not looking to sync your trees then there are lots of other options to choose from. Its generally a question of personal preference.

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    When you say compatible, do you mean that you want to be able to sync your tree between your computer and Ancestry?

If so then you need to look at Mackiev's FTM2017,

The only one I know anything about is FTM2017 and that works fine for me.
    I'd also say MacKiev's FTM2017 is worth a go. I'd preordered it as an upgrade from FTM2014, which Ancestry stopped supporting, while Mackiev took over and developed it as the 2017 version. Had it now for a few weeks and it all seems so be working right and synchs correctly over 3 different trees I have on Ancestry.
    All my images and source refs came over too which was a big relief! and can be viewed from the media file independant of the program (ie with Windows Picture Viewer)
    It's got some nice tree, charting and reporting features and a print/save to pdf ability. Plus a colour coding feature you can switch on for an individual to track family lines back.
    All seem to be operating ok.
    As I said I upgraded from the 2014 version so not sure how you'd get it from scratch - but google will know!

Cheers, MTS

Knowledgeable and helpful

You do not say what operating system you use at home. Are you on Windows or Mac? I ask because not all software is compatible with both systems
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I would throw in a word of caution about putting your tree online (i.e. on Ancestry) and about whether you show it as public or private.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, yes it is private

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Windows unfortunately I would love a Mac but they just so expensive!!! :-(

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    I would throw in a word of caution about putting your tree online (i.e. on Ancestry) and about whether you show it as public or private.

Pam
    This is probably the topic for a separate thread (I'm sure it is somewhere) but I run my tree on Ancestry as public access and feel I get more contacts from that than if it was private - I can't quantitfy that, mind.
    It is galling sometimes when whole chunks of my tree are copied over, especially if they're used wrongly - but that doesn't make my tree wrong - it just means I have to be vigilent in following the leafy leads (which I am anyway). If all trees were private it would make sharing info and making new (correct) discoveries very difficult.
    I also have a suspician that some people run an edited/abridged public tree to attract leads and contacts and keep a detailed, more personal version private - again I can't quantify that, it's just something I seem to see clues towards.
    Guess this argument could run and run!

Quote Originally Posted by bailey216 View Post
    Windows unfortunately I would love a Mac but they just so expensive!!! :-(
    Seems FMT2017 has both Windows and Mac versions - so you could probably swop over if you came into an inheritance!

Cheers, MTS

Knowledgeable and helpful

As a Windows user you have a far wider choice and the software is cheaper, generally, than that available for Macs. I imagine that as long as your choice can produce a Gedcom version of your tree it can be uploaded or downloaded anywhere. After those thoughts I think that most software providers allow you to use their software on a try before you buy basis. You will only be able to load a limited number of records during the trial period possibly but over the trial period you should be able to work out which you feel most comfortable with.
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Wow the digital age has really arrived and helped all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast