Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Starting to feel at home

Personally, I use Family Historian which also has a very helpful user group! I tend to work with it on my home computer then transfer an updated gedcom to Ancestry every now and then.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default The Digital Age

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa McCoy View Post
    Wow the digital age has really arrived and helped all!
    It certainly has Lisa but I've been using genealogy software for over 15 years and I'm sure that others on this forum can beat that. Without looking at my own profile (tricky to do while you're replying) I'd guess that this digital forum has been around in one form or another, and under different ownerships for at least that long.

Genealogy is one hobby that has used digital technology to great advantage from early days.

Welcome to the forum.

Tony

P.S. Yes, I just found that I'm coming up to the 15th anniversary of my joining this forum
    Last edited by tony vines; 01-10-2019 at 9:50 PM. Reason: New information
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

The first genealogy program I used was A-Gene on the Commodore Amiga in the late 1980s, I later transferred to a second-hand IBM 5150 PC in the early 90s with my first family history website online in around 1987.

There was not much FH online in those days but it was there mainly on private sites if you searched.

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

They never produced a FH program suitable for my Sinclair ZX80 but then it used to overheat if I typed a sentence as long as this one. To be fair I wasn't into genealogy when I bought that anyway (still got it and don't know what to do with it). I am very impressed that you created a genealogy website in 1987 though Guy.
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

There was nothing for my Acorn Atom (luxury version with 12K on board), but when I graduated to the BBC B, Brother’s Keeper worked reasonably well. My first on-line genealogy experience, down a phone-based modem, was USENET and soc.genealogy,uk+ireland and soc.roots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12