Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Tickle of Droitwich: Yay! (Wonderful Find)

I recently decided to look into a neglected branch of my family tree (Brook of Droitwich), and so paid for a monthly subscription to FindMyPast, just to gather what information I could, such as information on apprenticeships.

I wasn't even planning, really, on research the Tickle family of Droitwich, but I decided to do a search anyway.

And there it was, the 1706 London apprenticeship record of George Tickle to Thomas Henly of the Butcher's Company of London. George Tickle, son of George Tickle, wheelwright of Droitwich (my direct ancestor). I didn't even know that my ancestor George had a son George; his baptism doesn't appear to be on the IGI.

And then I went to Ancestry, and did a search for George Tickle of London. And I just found his will! It lists his sister, Avis, under her married name, and has the place where she lives. I had her baptism, but I'd never found her marriage. So, this clears up yet another mystery as to George Tickle's children. He had 10, and there's only one who is now a complete mystery as to what happened to them. There's another daughter, Anne, whose marriage I have yet go sort out, but I at least have something to go on about that: there's two possible marriages for her.

I can't believe I have breathed new life into his line I have been researching for the last 30 years. I am so happy!

Oh my god, I just found the will of Avis Norris, a previously unknown sister of George Tickle,wheelwright of Droitwich! It mentions a lot of cousins, and gives the name of another previously unknown child of George. It also explains why James Tickle, George's son, named a daughter Avis Norris Tickle, a mystery that was niggling at me for years.

I am green, green, green with envy. What a wonderful set of discoveries for you. Maybe I should meet you on my next trip back to Belmont and see if the persistence/luck rubs off.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

They say things come in threes, t@nya, so keep looking.

Even better is that your find is so early. A lot of us are lucky to get back to 1750 with only ag labs without two pennies to rub together in the family so no chance of any wills.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks everyone.

I've already found a few other new family members on other lines, just from those London apprenticeship records, one dating from 1618.

Another mystery solved: I just worked out that Avis Norris' maiden name wasn't Tickle, it was Henley or Handley, and that she was the sister of Elizabeth Hanley, George Tickle's wife. Which confirms the father of Elizabeth, so I'm one more generation back in that line.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

See, I told you everything comes in threes.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Yup.

Now, it's time to record the Hanley/Handley/Henley family, and start digging at their brickwalls.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Your finds also proves the misconception, that people never travelled that far for work in England in those days.

Obviously, not including emigration to foriegn parts of the world.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Very true. It was easier when they had familial connections, of course: I'm pretty sure that that Thomas Henly was a maternal uncle of the younger George Tickle.