Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    janbooth

FindmyPast has a Royal Naval Division Service Record for a John ROWLANDS 1914-20 which shows he was born 1 May 1887, of 51 Herbert Street, Treherbert. I can't give you full details because of their terms & conditions, but does any of this information tally with what you already know?

Janet

I sought confirmation of 1.5.1887 and occupation on earlier post.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi.
    This is our present port of call, hoping as you suggest that it may turn up some useful clues.
    Many Thanks
    Pete Best.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Janet.
    Thank you for the reply, I have attached a copy of Johns birth certificate and you will be able to see that John was born in Neath Road Morriston. However, we get the impression John may have moved within the area dependant on work available.
    Many Thanks.
    Pete Best.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Please see attached birth cert for John regarding birth date.
    Cheers Pete Best

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Christina.
    Your search would appear to be one of John Rowlands two sons and he also had a daughter Gweny.
    So to give you the 1911 census info that we have and some certificates John Rowlands was the head of the household at 23 and a clay miner, Margaret Hannah Rowlands was his wife of 24 years of age and a house domestic, Gweny Rowlands was his daughter at school and 5 years old, then William Joseph Rowlands at school and 4 years old with Daniel John Rowlands being the youngest at 1 year old and in 1911 they were residing at Quar House on Quar Road in Morriston.
    It is finding when John left Wales, if he ever did? the big problem as his wife was living with her sister Caroline Johns at 66 Mill Street Middlesbrough in 1920 but there was no mention of John being on the scene.
    I have also attached some certificates that may help.
    Many Thanks.
    Pete Best

There appears to be a problem uploading images at the moment so will try later.

undefined

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi.
    Thank you for replying we have all the normal family info up to 1911 census time but its tracking what has happened to John Rowlands between 1911 and 1920 when his wife appeared in Middlesbrough and living with her sister . So at present.
    The 1911 census info tells that John Rowlands was the head of the household at 23 and a clay miner, Margaret Hannah Rowlands was his wife of 24 years of age and a house domestic, Gweny Rowlands was his daughter at school and 5 years old, then William Joseph Rowlands at school and 4 years old with Daniel John Rowlands being the youngest at 1 year old and in 1911 they were residing at Quar House on Quar Road in Morriston.
    It is finding when John left Wales, if he ever did? the problem been his wife was living with her sister Caroline Johns at 66 Mill Street Middlesbrough in 1920 but there was no mention of John being on the scene.

janbooth

I might be clutching at straws here, but I wonder if the Naval records (3 of them) for John ROWLANDS on FMP have the incorrect birthdate and should read 21 May and not 1 May 1887.

I have been trying to follow John ROWLANDS on the Swansea & district Electoral Registers to see if I can find one living in Treherbert but seem to have failed miserably! There is a Margaret ROWLANDS in the 1939 Register in Middlesborough who is shown as a widow born 1 May 1889. However is she the same person as a Margaret A JOHN in the 1891 census of Jarrow together with parents Joseph & Caroline, both born Morriston, living at 23 Bladon Street who is shown as born c1887 at Grainger's Lane, Staffordshire. Birth registration of a Margaret Hannah JOHN in the June qtr 1886 at Dudley reg district, so do you have definite proof that the Margaret ROWLANDS living in Middlesborough is the same Margaret Hannah JOHN who married your John ROWLANDS?

Janet

janbooth

Cross posted yet again, Pete, so you do have proof that she is indeed your Margaret Hannah who married John ROWLANDS.

Lunch beckons, so will come back to this after I have eaten.

Janet

janbooth

Death registration for Margaret H ROWLANDS in the March qtr 1852 at Middlesbrough reg district, aged 65 which fits in with the age on the 1891 census of Jarrow and the Dudley birth registration I found. However I have had a singular lack of success in finding anything out about John ROWLANDS after 1911 apart from that Naval Service record which may be him. I can find a criminal record for brother Owen John ROWLANDS who according to Ancestry's Swansea Gaol records was sentenced to 1 month on 13 January 1922 for stealing a Portmanteau, clothes, etc - not that this helps you at all in your search for John!

If perhaps husband John ROWLANDS did serve in WW1, it would make sense that wife Margaret did go up to Middlesbrough as her parents and siblings were living there in the 1911 census, resident at 14 Heywood Street. And if this is your John ROWLANDS he was demobbed on 18 March 1919 but after that I am stumped again.

Marriage registration for a Daniel J ROWLANDS & a Margaret E CLOSE in the June qtr 1934 at Middlesbrough reg district. 1939 Register of Middlesbrough has a Daniel J ROWLANDS (transcribed as David J) & wife Margaret E living at 7 Mattison Avenue.

Janet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast