Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Broadfoot South Mains Farm, Sanquhar Dumfries

Looking for any ideas, info, or suggestions - and certainly locals who study these places or people, and their history! James Broadfoot married to Sarah McCrerock had 5 children, born and raised on South Mains Farm, Sanquhar, Dumfries. I would love photos, old and new of this location!

WHOLE family but their father immigrated, soon after he passed away - S.S. Science, June 18, 1835, New York City - from there to Huron, Ontario, where all are now buried together. Be glad to email anyone with records or any help, or ideas - thanks very much!

genmtdew {at} gmail.com
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 18-08-2017 at 11:08 AM. Reason: We do not allow spam attracting live email addresses

I've had success with a photo search for pics of my one parish study locale but hunting through postcards on eBay. You can set up a search so that they notify you if one comes in. It would also be worth contacting the local FHS (see genuki.org for details).
    There are other suggestions for info on places in my stickies at the top of the General Scottish forum.

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

I would be interested if you find anything for Sanquhar as I am researching ancestors - The Merrie family of Sanquhar. They are on the 1837 Directory. The branch I am interested in end up in Cumberland/Houghton Le Spring.

Mrs P

I have found your farm on the Scottish Maps. (National Library of Scotland Site)

Dumfries Sheet XIII.3 (Sanquhar)
    Survey date: 1856 Publication date: 1860
    Last edited by MrsPoppy; 18-08-2017 at 4:54 PM. Reason: adding info

Knowledgeable and helpful

Here's a nice image of South Mains Farm, taken about 9 years ago:

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1004138

Peter

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

perfect! thanks very much Peter - and Mrs P!

Knowledgeable and helpful

If you search “Memorials of Sanquhar Kirkyard by Tom Wilson”, you'll find an online transcript of the book's list of graves, hosted by Rootsweb.

The surname BROADFOOT occurs 16 times, including this gem:

Further north, from the entry to the Queer door to the Queer wall, three yards, belonging to the Session, said to be sold to James Broadfoot in South Mains.

There are no MCCREROCKs but there are 18 MCCRIRICKs.

You can navigate to a page showing a map of the kirkyard, together with images of the kirk and some worthies of the town.

Peter

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Wow, Peter, thanks so much again - that's amazing! Definitely my people...I've just spent over an hour studying all these listings! Though the lot you quote was predating 1750 I think? Perhaps father of the James I noted.