Titanicfan

Default WW1 Postcard Research

Hi everyone,

I received a WW1 postcard as one of my birthday presents and I would really like to find out about the soldier that the postcard was addressed to. I would be grateful if anyone could please look up his details for me as I do not have access at the moment.

Private James Edward Hawkins, Regt. No. 39140, T W Battalion, 13th Bedfordshire Regiment, West Croydon.

Any advice would be most welcomed. Thank you.

Have you started with CWGC.org to see whether he survived the war?

Hi
    Some info from his army records 1917 Hounslow Middlesex
    James Edward Hawkins 49 Bell Road, Hounslow age 38 years 10 months Occupation painter
    Wife Rose Eliza Elsberry married 1909
    Children Edward Harold born 1910, it says he was born in 1877
    Peanut

Titanicfan

Thanks Lesley and Peanut for your helpful info. I checked the CWGC website and thankfully it seems he survived the war.

The address given in the 1911 census is 1 Hawthorne Cottages, Jersey Rd nr Hounslow. James, Rose & Edward all born Hounslow. However, it gives his occupation at that time as margarine packer.
    If you want to search further, you can look for his birth and death certificates and trace the family through the 10 yearly census, back until 1841.

Watch out, there seems to be a second man with the same name around, so check whatever you find...

Titanicfan

Thank you for the info, Lesley. Luckily, I have free access today so I have downloaded the 1911 census.